Narrative | Teen Ink

Narrative

May 28, 2008
By Anonymous

The one day that ill never forget was November 16, 2006, it was 6:30 in the morning and all I could hear was my mother screaming my name. “Amanda, Wake up!” repeatedly “Amanda, Wake up! I need help” all that was going threw my head was leave me alone mom please. But after a while of my mom screaming my name I went downstairs to find my mom gasping for air.
My mother is standing at the sliding door trying to gasp for air and holding onto her chest. I had no idea what was going on, so I thought nothing of it. She kept saying that she was having hot flashes and that her heart was killing her. I didn’t know what to do, all I was thinking was that she was going threw menopause. My mom isn’t the youngest person so I just thought that maybe she was overreacting on the situation. So then she had me call for my brothers because she couldn’t stand up any longer. I screamed for my brothers but they didn’t budge at all. Next thing I know it my mothers on the floor begging for some help. I was in total shock I didn’t know what to do and that’s what scared me. So we decided to call 911 because she couldn’t walk, so I couldn’t get her to the car to drive her.

That day ill never forget what was going through my mind. What if I didn’t call the ambulance? Would my mom still be here? This was the biggest decision that I would make for a very long time. Since I was little my mom was the healthiest out of all of my family. This reminds me of onetime when I was younger, it was right before my birthday. I became really sick, and I didn’t want to worry my parents so I didn’t say that really anything was wrong with me. That was a very big mistake and change what would happen in the long run. I waited so long that my appendix burst. I had to be rushed to the hospital not knowing what was going on. I made a stupid decision and didn’t tell my parents because I thought nothing of it. I ended up not being able to do gymnastics anymore.
As I was going to call the ambulance for my mother I couldn’t get out of my head, what would happen if I didn’t call? Now I’m thankful that I actually called because it ended up that my mom was having a heart attack that day. If I didn’t call I could have lost the most important person in life, my mommy.

When they were taking my mother off in the ambulance, I thought about my childhood and my future. What if something serious was to happen to my mom because I didn’t call in time. What would I do for my wedding? Also all the good times I and my mom had when I was little. When she took me to Disneyland or the mother and daughter moments that we share. Everything went threw my mind so fast, that I just couldn’t hold myself together. I started to burst into tears, what made even more pissed off was that my brothers didn’t even budge when I was calling for help. Now after the ambulance came, they come running down the stairs wondering what’s going on. Or what if I never heard my mom screaming for help, would I have woken up? Or when was the last time I said “I love you” to her? I felt so guilty because so many times that I probably haven’t treated my mom with the respect that she deserves. She’s my life and my everything.

Later on in the day, I went back to the hospital and finally got to see my mom but she was in intensive care. As I walked in I didn’t know what to think, I couldn’t pull myself together, I was so scared to see my mom laying there helpless. But to my relief she was awake. She looked so pale and sick, it made me feel horrible. How didn’t I notice that something was wrong with her before this happen to her?

The doctor said that she probably had a heart attack because she wasn’t eating the right ways in the past so now there catching up with her to bite her. Ever since I heard the doctors say that about my mom I’ve never gone a day without giving her crap for what she eats or drinks. This has changed my life in a major way; I value my mother so much more. I always thought nothing can happen to my family but it actually happened this time. I don’t think ill ever take my mother for granted ever again.