A Letter to Cupid | Teen Ink

A Letter to Cupid MAG

By Rachel Roth BRONZE, -, Other
Rachel Roth BRONZE, -, Other

Dear Cupid,

Most people remember the first time they said (or heard) those three magic words. Exchanging “I love you’s” is a memorable event. Well, not for me. “I love you” has become one of those hackneyed statements. I hear it countless times each day – from my friends, on television, on the radio.

The first time a boy told me that he loved me was probably in fifth grade – some note passed with care so that the teacher wouldn’t notice. And as I recall, it did not even spell out the words. Probably more like a picture of an eye next to a heart next to a “U.” Very special. And being a boy-crazy pre-teen, I am sure I responded with an even more elaborate heart; you know, the kind with arrows.

By eighth grade, the “I love you’s” matured a bit. Then, the cool thing to do was tell your boyfriend of two weeks or two days you loved him; this usually happened about halfway through the Friday night movie that your 50 friends religiously attended. So I guess I was sitting through a romantic scene of “Wayne’s World 2” when I heard those magic words again. Excellent!

As a seventeen-year-old, I really hate to admit that “I love you” still does not mean much. One boyfriend told me he loved me for the first time in the hallway right before biology. Pardon me for not bursting with joy. I began dating a guy who was my best friend for two years; we had said “I love you” about a million times. Once we were an “official” couple, the words sounded like they always had: monotonous.

The Internet introduces a whole new twist. Whenever I receive mail from friends, acquaintances, or random characters who always seem to be online, the letters are signed “Love always” or “Love ya,” or my personal favorite “Luv Ya Tonz.” I admit: I am guilty too.

I think we need a new word, the kind that means “I love you as a friend.” It makes sense; I really do love my friends. But it is not the stereotypical music-playing, running-through-the-fields-toward-the-love-of-my-life love. More like here’s-some-email, I-will- call-you-later love.

So, that’s my request. Thanks for listening; hopefully you can find a solution.

Love always, Rachel

AubreyJordan PLATINUM, Flagstaff, Arizona
This is so clever and wonderfully written! I really enjoyed it :)