Friendships | Teen Ink

Friendships

June 6, 2008
By Anonymous

You know the saying “Friendships last forever” well I bet most of us have already figured out that statement is far from true. Friendships do come and go and people pass in and out of your life. For me that was just the beginning.

When friendships go askew, nearly always, one or both friends feel dismissed, discounted or disrespected, and for me and what use to be my best friend Brooke that’s exactly happened. I soon realized a void was created when someone very close to me was suddenly removed from my day-to-day routine.



Brooke and I were best friends, Good friends are soul mates with whom we can laugh, cry and share secrets. When we were together, no matter how long it had been since we had last seen each other, we would never run out of important things to say. So when the “relationship” unexpectedly veered off course and began to break, the resulting hurt, and hurt bad.



One night I got a message saying “I need to talk to you. It’s important.” Important to Brooke normally meant that her hair was frizzed. So naturally I thought nothing of it. Much to my surprise it was serious. I messaged back asking her what was up, and she replied very seriously in a way that was quite confusing to me, and the worst part was.. It was my birthday.

The message read:

Hey, I can’t make it to your birthday tonight.
I know that you and Steph don’t like me anymore
so there is no point in me coming if I feel unwanted.
For the past month I've been acting like everything’s okay...
But I can’t pretend I don’t know what’s going on anymore.
You guys haven’t been inviting me anywhere
and you talk about things that I’m not invited to in front of me.
And if you do invite me its like I’m not really included in anything.
I know that you guys have been talking about me behind my back
and I don’t think friends should do that.
I think I deserve friends who appreciate me and who have my back.

Thanks for all the good memories
and I hope you have a great birthday
ill drop off your present later

Brooke.





Once I read this letter I couldn’t help but let the tears flow. She was my best friend, and out of no where she decides she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore. I had never felt more betrayal in my entire life. I spent weeks trying to convince her that I did nothing wrong and that she was so important to my life, that couldn’t live without her around me. This was no use. She didn’t even give me a chance to explain myself. The worst part of it all is she spread what happened all over the school and twisted the story so that everyone would hate me. You could definitely say that wasn’t the best time I have ever had. I could literally see the disgust on people’s faces when they would see me walking down the hall. I didn’t know what to do. Nothing I could say at this point would be taken seriously since the whole school had heard her story. I didn’t even have time to explain myself or even defend myself. I was pretty sure my life was over.



A few weeks after “incident” happed, I looked to my friends and my family for advice. My mom told me that it wasn’t worth fighting for her if she wasn’t going to appreciate what she had when she got it back. I should have more respect for myself than that. As all children do, I said that was stupid and walked away. Than my best friends Steph and Shawna gave me some advice that I felt I could use. They said to me that “friendships come and go, and you learn who your true friends are with having those experiences, some of them aren’t going to be what you were hoping for, but that’s life”. Suddenly I felt a sense of warmth through my body. I than realized that the only friends I truly needed were standing right in front of me.



I realized through this whole ordeal, that the experiences that you have in high school with friends, prepare you for life. Loosing a friend is never easy, you feel like your whole life is crumbling before your eyes, but by the end of it all, you realize what’s important and who’s important. “There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won’t anymore, and who always will.” I realized that you shouldn’t dwell on people from your past, because there is a reason why they didn’t make it to your future.













This story is completely 100% true. This is something that actually happened in my life and the names and letter are factual.