The Debate on Animal Testing | Teen Ink

The Debate on Animal Testing

By isabellefg BRONZE, Bayport, New York
isabellefg BRONZE, Bayport, New York

Recently, animal testing has become a large source of conflict in the scientific world. It is used for many research purposes such as cosmetic and medical reasons. Many people may not even realize that a majority of their household products have been previously tested on animals. Companies such as Johnson & Johnson, Aussie, Avon, L’Oreal, and Clorox test on animals, along with many other major companies. Companies all around the world use animals for research along with the United States. This struggle has became a debate between morals and the reach towards medical advancement for many current diseases.

In the U.S alone, last year about 1, 345, 739 animals were used in experiments. This is only including warm-blooded animals such as dogs, cats, monkeys, and rabbits. Rats and mice make up about 85 to 90 percent of all lab animals but aren’t counted in the total. Many of these animals are locked In tiny caged where they are confined and forced into painful experiment where many of them die. Many of these animals are in captivity their whole lives and never live outside of their cages.

There are many groups that have sprung up over time that have acted out against animal testing. Such groups include the ASPCA and PETA who defend the rights of helpless animals. Along with this, new legislation has been passed. The Animal Welfare Act established the United States Department of Agriculture, which is in charge of handling animals for scientific purposes. Many people argue that this Department doesn’t have enough enforcing power and can’t create change.

Another reason for the end of animal testing is the numerous alternate methods, which are sometimes faster and cheaper. This includes tissue cultures, organ cultures, bacteria cultures, tests on egg membrane, and computer stimulations. These methods could also be used to drastically reduce the scale of animal testing if not completely eradicate it.