Fictional Creatues | Teen Ink

Fictional Creatues

May 20, 2008
By Anonymous

You have heard of many different types of fictional creatures, havent you? Well then you know that there are beautiful, ugly, mean, nice, funny, and boring types of fictional creatures. But do you know all the details about these creatures? Well lets find out!
A mermaid is a fictional ocean creature with the head to the hips of a human female and the tail of a fish. The male version of a mermaid is called a merman. Much like sirens, mermaids would sometimes sing to sailors and enchant them, distracting them from their work and causing them to walk off the deck or cause shipwrecks. Other stories would have them squeeze the life out of drowning men while trying to rescue them. They are also said to take them down to their underwater kingdoms.
The Sirens of Greek mythology are sometimes said in later folklore as mermaid-like. In fact, some languages use the same word for both creatures. During the 19th century, mariners referred the Manatee and Dugongs to be mermaids.
Now Bigfoot is a big and hairy beast and nowhere near as pretty as a mermaid. Bigfoot is also known as Sasquatch. Big Foot is a gorilla-like creature that is said to be in, “remote” forests. But they are mainly found in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States and the Canadian Province of British Columbia. In the north part of Wisconsin, Lakota Indians call Bigfoot by the name, “Chiye-tanka”. This is a Lakota name which means "Big Elder Brother." Bigfoot is thought of as a large, hairy beast. Some believe that this animal or its ancestors might be found around the world. Maybe in Yeti of Tibet and Nepal, the Yeren of mainland China, and the Yowie of Australia.
Bigfoot is one of the more famous examples of, “cryptozoology”, with a large ongoing debate on whether it exists or not. Many scientific experts consider the Bigfoot legend to be a combination of fairy-tales and “hoaxes”. Besides its undiscovered scientific status, Bigfoot is sill a popular symbol, included as "Quatchi," one of the mascots of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and used to name both a provincial park and the annual Sasquatch Daze event in Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia.
And Water Horses are one of the beautiful fictional creatures that have yet to be discovered. Some people believe in the water horse and they think it is a water monster. The first water horse was an imaginary sea animal from Greek mythology. It resembles a horse with the back of a fish or dolphin, the front legs are flippers or fins, and the front of its body looks like a horse. The name comes from the Greek which means, “Hippos, horse or kampos, sea monster.”

Aliens are one of the uglier types of fictional creatures that is not known to be nice or mean yet. But there are many different types of aliens. There is the Aleshenkan, Babbu, Cat-like aliens, Dropa, Elder race, Energy being, Grey alien, Little green men, Jovian, Martian, Nordics, Reptilian humanoid, Roswell rods, Venusian, Xenomorph, and a Predator alien. But Martians might be the alien you know the best. The term, "Martian" is used to describe anything from Mars. And Martian is a fictional creature of Mars.

Dragons are known as pretty creatures, but they are known to be mean. The dragon is a fairy-tale creature normally known as a gigantic and powerful snake, lizard, or any other reptile but with magical powers. Most dragons are either European dragons, Oriental dragons, or Chinese dragons. European dragons came from many European folk traditions. Oriental dragons came from the Chinese dragon. The word "dragon" is from Greek, “drakōn” which means "a serpent of huge size, a python, a dragon" and ”derkomai” means "to see clearly."

An elf is known to be one of the nice, funny, and sometimes tricky types of creatures. An elf is a creature from Germanic mythology. Elves were first made up as a joke of nature and to the rich gods. People believed that the elves lived in forests, caves, or in wells. They have been thought of as forever-living creatures and creatures with magical powers.
Werewolves are another creature that is very ugly and is very mean and dangerous. Werewolves are also known as “lycanthropes.” They are fairy-tale humans that have the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or a wolf-like creature. They can either do this purposely by eating Henbane, or being bitten by a werewolf, or after being placed under a spell. They have been around in fairy-tale stories as long as history has been written. The werewolves look like an ordinary human everyday except when the full moon comes out. When there is a full moon, the ordinary human turns into a vicious animal. But, the werewolf does not remember anyone and will attach anything that gets in its way. there is evidence that shows they have existed among the Ancient Greeks.

Even though I try to find these creatures that are almost impossible to find, its all worth it in the end.