Myths and Advice on Marketing | Teen Ink

Myths and Advice on Marketing

May 7, 2008
By Anonymous

The field of marketing is a process of society which discerns consumers' wants, focusing on a product or service to fulfill such wants, attempting to move the consumers toward the products or services offered. Marketing is fundamental to any businesses growth. The marketing teams (marketers) are tasked to create consumer awareness of the products or services through marketing techniques. Unless it pays due attention to its products and services and consumers' demographics and desires, a business will not usually prosper over time.
Marketing tends to be seen as a creative industry, which includes advertising, distribution and selling. Marketing, being known of a creative industry, is why this field has been chosen because of the many different ways it can improve itself to prove more successful. It is also concerned with anticipating the customers' future needs and wants, which are often discovered through market research.
Essentially, marketing is the process of creating or directing an organization to be successful in selling a product or service that people not only desire, but are willing to buy. Therefore good marketing must be able to create a "proposition" or set of benefits for the end customer that delivers value through products or services.

In this article you, the marketer, will learn a few ways on how to improve on your approach to the field you have chosen. The first of these approaches is to gain as much on site experience as possible. Schooling is resourceful and can improve your whereabouts in the field, but experience is crucial while you are practicing in such field. Internship or even apprenticeship are great ways to gain experience and to advance farther into the marketing field because of how they give you hands on experience in showing you how to properly manage your schedule.

The second approach is to act responsibly in the work environment that has been given to you. There is no “I” in marketing, only “us”, that is why there are teams that can collectively focus on the task at hand. In a field where more heads are better than one, it is crucial to present yourself in a proper and well thought of way. If there is bad tension within a marketing group than the creativity might not be as strong as before and thus the company starts to wither away. The company’s future relies on how well the entire marketing team performs as a whole.

The third and probably the most important approach is to make sure to add every bit of creativity you can possibly bring forth to the project or assignment you are presented. In a field dubbed “a creative industry” it is the up most importance to not hold back those so called creative juices that you posses because they might be what your team is looking for. Even thou it might be the most important, it is also the easiest because of how it does not take much to kick your creativity into gear. All in all it is important to spill all of your ideas and thoughts out unto the meeting room table because they might improve or, better yet, secure your company’s future.

Most marketers believe that marketing techniques themselves are amoral. While it is ethically neutral, it can be used for negative purposes, such as selling unhealthy food to obese people or selling SUVs in a time of global warming, but it can also have a positive influence on consumer welfare. In any account creativity is still being used to represent what these companies have to offer. A market-focused, or customer-focused, organization first determines what its potential customer’s desire, and then builds the product or service. Marketing theory and practice is justified in the belief that customers use a product or service because they have a need, or because it provides a perceived benefit. This is why it is important to follow the three approaches that I put forth upon you, because they will not only benefit the company you are working for, but also they will benefit you as a marketer in both experience and knowledge.