Orange and Tangerine | Teen Ink

Orange and Tangerine

April 28, 2012
By Sophie09a SILVER, Tonbridge, Other
Sophie09a SILVER, Tonbridge, Other
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A girl should be two things; classy and fabulous"- Coco Chanel


This freshly squeezed duo popped back on the catwalk this season after last summer’s eye-poppingly zesty extravaganza. If you are tired of the palest pastel washes and want something more eye catching them orange and tangerine are the way forward. Orange poured onto the beauty scene with surprisingly sophisticated orange eye shadows and coral lipsticks. Accessories are hot on the flaming orange trail with sunglasses, cuffs and handbags dressing themselves in the brightest pops of these gorgeous colours.

The neon appeal correlates with this summer’s sportswear trend that has in turn sprung from the return of the Olympics which now has less than one hundred days to go. Try tangerine tapered trousers with a loose fitting silky top with a baseball jacket and perhaps even a cap for an outgoing look that is not for the fainthearted. However, for something more feminine try an orange or tangerine dress that can be dressed with killer heels or cute flats. Lace adds a pretty detail to the stand-out colour. For work wear or something more conservative wearing a tangerine accessory can really set off an otherwise plain outfit.

At this time of year the Oompa Loompa’s seem to appear in the masses; at least at school they seem to! Orange and tangerine legs are not such a great look but a healthy bronzed glow is ever lusted for. I recommend St Tropez Gradual Tan for a trustworthy, non-orange shade that will compliment orange clothing, accessories and makeup.

To give your skin a more natural glow, try making this orange smoothie. It will make a great snack or could be served with an orange summer salad. Just take one cup of orange juice, two medium scoops of ice cream, one and a half teaspoons of sugar, one cup of yogurt and one cup of milk. Simply blend the ingredients on high for about one and a half minutes, pour into cups and chill in the fridge for ten minutes then remove your wonderful beverage; best served with a slice of orange sliced into the centre and popped onto the side of the glass.

For chic summer reads try A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, The Orange Girl byJostein Gaarder and Blood Orange by Sam Lleellyn. For trendy hotels and destinations where you can read these books in a relaxed hotel room take a look at The Orange in London, Orange Hotel in Rome or TheOrange Hotel in Bangalore.

On the catwalk Hermes, Alexander Wang and Matthew Williamson experimented with head to toe orange looks whilst New Look, Next and Miss Selfridge take the reins on the high street. This shirt dress from New Look is especially fabulous. The high street tends to offer softer coral shades but brighter tangerines can be found.

This is the trend perfectly complements a summer sunset backdrop but will look just as stunning walking down a local high street. This is the trend that bursts with flavour but remains subtle if you want it to. This is the trend that it feels great to be wearing this summer.