The Brownie | Teen Ink

The Brownie

By Abdul Rahman Mossaad BRONZE, Dhahran, New York
Abdul Rahman Mossaad BRONZE, Dhahran, New York

A composition of various ingredients was put in the harshest conditions to create a dark substance on a tray on the kitchen counter. Not many people live long enough to experience it and write an essay about it. Maybe it’s because it’s not on many people’s to-do list. I guess that just makes me one of those few people that do describe it. Let me first apologize for describing this thing as if it’s some sort of childhood horror dish such as your mother’s cooked vegetables. It’s the brownie.

Give it a bite. It’s satisfying, right? Give it another bite. Can you taste the amazing chocolate flavour as you chew on the brownie? Is it a crunchy chocolate chip brownie or a molten fudge brownie? Does it have crispy walnuts in it or soft caramel? In all cases, it’s still a brownie. Its deliciousness pushes you to take another bite. Do it. Dopamine is a chemical that gives you a pleasurable feeling when you enjoy something nice and filled with energy, like a brownie. So I’m sure by now you’ve had an excellent amount of dopamine. Even the chocolate in the brownie makes the brain produce natural opiates that make the body feel good as research has found. But Uh-oh. You’re done with your piece of brownie. It’s okay because you’ve enjoyed the magic.

But where did the magic come from? You’ve got this fascinating treat made out of unsalted butter, bittersweet chocolate, sugar, vanilla, eggs, flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and salt”, as to create the deep chocolate brownie. Eating any of these ingredients alone cannot satisfy you the way a brownie would. I don’t think a guy would take a handful of flour and consume it while watching a football match. It would also be rare to see a man chewing on unsalted butter while he’s gathered up with his friends. Would mixing fix this problem? Well, eventually the ingredients do fall into a bowl and get beaten, manually or mechanically, until you can’t see the difference between the eggs and the vanilla. What do we have now? It is definitely not a brownie. It still has to go through a devastating stage; the baking. No human can survive staying one minute in 350 degrees Fahrenheit, but a brownie can. In fact, the brownie should stay for 25 to 35 minutes. When it’s time, the mitten is brought out and the tray is pulled out. Soon enough, the cutting instruments are slicing the brownie into pieces. Now, the brownie is set back on the tray on the kitchen counter just like how it was at the beginning of the essay. That wasn’t so hard, was it? Maybe the brownie begs to differ, ay?

Why would a brownie go through all that pain? Is it to become the tastiest platter on the table? What pleasure does a brownie get by being one of the best out there? Is it the fame? Is it the sudden change of value? Is it being wanted? Is to stop being called an egghead or butterfingers? Maybe it’s just that feeling of success. Despite the idea that the brownie is going to get eaten, why wouldn’t a composition of ingredients want to turn into a brownie? Brownies are a success. I mean, imagine how a brownie feels when everybody is fighting for the last piece of it. Imagine how it feels when it knows that based on industry estimates, over 2 billion dollars were used to bought brownies. Do you know what a brownie feels when they know that they are that great? Nothing. In fact, brownies don’t feel a thing. No torture. No victory. No happiness. It’s just a brownie. But the question is what are you? Are you that person that is still in the grocery store waiting for someone to pick you up to be made into a brownie? Or are you already in the oven, getting ready to show the world what your name really means? If I’m wrong in both cases, then you’re probably smiling right now saying to yourself, “I’m a brownie”.