Why Are People Goth? | Teen Ink

Why Are People Goth?

By mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio

Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

Many groups that we find in school may include the popular football players to the flirty cheerleaders even down to the proud Geeks and nerds. But, what about the Goths? Goths are a subculture of a group who are classified by wearing black and listening to very heavy metal music or hard techno music (rock on!) But, why are they so different? In reality, Goths are most likely the smartest group in the world. On the outside, they appear more of a group who are dark and are the ones who would rip one’s head off without question. But in reality, they are a non-conformists group and they are a group who, for too long, have been judged and never had a chance of being asked that simple question: why?
The term Goths originated from the medieval ages when the structure of the buildings, such as the cathedral in Notre Dame, was not liked at first. Since then, the term Goth has been attributed to things which are different, mysterious, or just plain out twisted. Today, the first picture that pops into everybody’s heads, when the word Goth is said, is a group of people who are dark and act like devil worshippers.
This is not true (although there may be some). In truth, the reason why people are Goth is to show to the world that they are not in the world but are aware of their self-realization. The Goths are a group of people who are tired of being rejected, furious about being judged, and show their anger in ways that are peaceful and are friendly. Now, not all Goths are happy go lucky people; some have their defenses up because the world has been crappy to them and so, they don’t trust people as some do. But in reality, the Goths are Goths because they need an escape and they tend to welcome others into their web because they know of the pain that we all face and go through.
Although they may look weird and act dark, the Goths are people who will accept you for who you are and will always be there to support you. Some may disagree and say that I am wrong, others may throw their lot in with other groups but as for me, I will be with the Goths and all the other different kids out there.

DarkeRose13 BRONZE, Toogoolawah, Other
you actually understand!

Noctiluca GOLD said...
on May. 3 2015 at 9:29 am
Noctiluca GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

"While some seek to find themselves, I shall seek to create myself."

I am a Goth. I too have written an article trying to explain in the simplest words what Goth means to me. I'm glad that you understand what Goth really is. It is A very open minded subculture and you can mold it according to your interests.

on May. 4 2014 at 5:11 am
Im A Goth Myself, I understand why we goths dress this way, we are dark but we dont want to really kill people with no reason, we dress this was because we dont care what "Others" think, goth culture is a free open minded culture, we think what we think, we dont blindly follow a bishop or a leader beacuse they say so, we make up our own relgions basicly, we do what they want, goth is a good culture, not all goths are bad, many people glare at me but, I dont care people who think "goth or goths" are bad are bad people themselves

on Apr. 11 2014 at 10:29 am
I think this is somewhat true. It has a lot of thought put into this. I am glad to see that someone knows about who Goths REALLY are.

mymask DIAMOND said...
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio

Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

True, but what started the Goth movements were the romantic gothic arthors such as Poe, Bronte sisters, and Stoker, then there came the Victorian Goth movement in which these stories became popular and people began to express themselves by their outside looks, we get Charles Baudelaire during this time and his Gothic poems which then led into the twentieth century, where it died down and then, as you mentioned, the rock music came into being. I think I wasn't clear on saying what I meant to say, or attempt to say, I was trying to show the readers that the reason why people are goth is so that they can express themselves in the ways that many other people don't want to. for example, do you wear black, almost all the time? If you do, then my question is this, why not wear something else, say yellow, white, pink, green...etc.? One of the reasons why they were black is to express themselves by wearing the color that takes in all the colors and combines them all into one.  Goth and Gothic, and this is where I was trying to get at, are ways that people self-express themselves, via the music that they listen to and the media that they are involved in.

Arturo said...
I am goth, I don´t agree with this, we aren´t dark wisdom people, Goth is a musical subculture that grew at the end of 70´s when post punk groups like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Joy Division were cataloged as "goth" because they differ from pop mainstream by Anthony Wilson, then Bauhaus came in 79 with Bela´s Lugosis Dead, and the goth rock started.