Why Are People Goth? | Teen Ink

Why Are People Goth?

April 3, 2012
By mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
64 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!


Many groups that we find in school may include the popular football players to the flirty cheerleaders even down to the proud Geeks and nerds. But, what about the Goths? Goths are a subculture of a group who are classified by wearing black and listening to very heavy metal music or hard techno music (rock on!) But, why are they so different? In reality, Goths are most likely the smartest group in the world. On the outside, they appear more of a group who are dark and are the ones who would rip one’s head off without question. But in reality, they are a non-conformists group and they are a group who, for too long, have been judged and never had a chance of being asked that simple question: why?
The term Goths originated from the medieval ages when the structure of the buildings, such as the cathedral in Notre Dame, was not liked at first. Since then, the term Goth has been attributed to things which are different, mysterious, or just plain out twisted. Today, the first picture that pops into everybody’s heads, when the word Goth is said, is a group of people who are dark and act like devil worshippers.
This is not true (although there may be some). In truth, the reason why people are Goth is to show to the world that they are not in the world but are aware of their self-realization. The Goths are a group of people who are tired of being rejected, furious about being judged, and show their anger in ways that are peaceful and are friendly. Now, not all Goths are happy go lucky people; some have their defenses up because the world has been crappy to them and so, they don’t trust people as some do. But in reality, the Goths are Goths because they need an escape and they tend to welcome others into their web because they know of the pain that we all face and go through.
Although they may look weird and act dark, the Goths are people who will accept you for who you are and will always be there to support you. Some may disagree and say that I am wrong, others may throw their lot in with other groups but as for me, I will be with the Goths and all the other different kids out there.