Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

March 28, 2012
By Ivan Garcia BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Ivan Garcia BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Community service is something that always has caught my interest. Ever since I was a little kid, I always was interested in helping my community and everywhere around me. Through all those years I always keep active in my community. Thanks to my work, I haven’t gotten any rewards, but what I have gotten is something better, the respect and appreciation of my neighbors.

Every weekend, I go to the open school field a few yards close to my house and clean it. I walk around picking up every piece of trash I can and putting it on a trash bag I take with me. It hard work because it’s a really big field and I do the work mostly by myself. On other weekends, I walk around my street and do the same thing. My neighbors already know me , so I go into their front yards and get the trash out without their permission but I talked to them and they said it was okay.

I have started to get a group started to go around more streets and more places to clean up my community. It may take a lot of work and time between homework, house work and soccer, I am going to find enough time to do the best for my community.