Alzheimers | Teen Ink

Alzheimers

March 26, 2012
By Keenan Eichman BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
Keenan Eichman BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dimentia is a loss of brain function that can occur with certain diseases. Alzheimer’s is only one form of dementia that gradually gets worse over time. It affects memory, thinking and they way you act.

Betty Ann O’Connor is 77 years old. In 2008 my pop-pop died, her husband, and that is when we realized something wasn’t right. My grand mom is too young for her mental landslide.

It started when she forgot to pay bill, or even how to pay bills. That turned into forgetting everyday things which lead to forgetting that the oven’s on. At this point in my grand mom’s life, my family decided she had to move in with mine. My mom was worried and began to catch on to her “forgetfulness”, but I thought it was mere old age.

When my grand mom moved in with us it was hard. She would try to help us with chores, which was really sweet, but she would put dirty dishes away thinking she washed them. She would feed my dog so much that now my dogs on some sort of ‘obese watch’ at the vet’s office. One day my grad mom and I went to the store, she was driving, and she pulled out without looking and her car got t-boned. I was extremely upset because I thought I she was hurt, which she wasn’t. After this, her doctor took her license taken away because she would leave by herself and get lost. My grand mom became extremely relitent on my mother and my family; we had to help her to everything. Her walking is now very slow because her mind has forgotten how to walk without dragging your feet. My mom takes care of her every day, helping her get dressed, eat and things like that. Everyday my grand mom packs all her clothes up and packs her car; she’s packing to go home. My grand mom has lived with us for two years, but doesn’t remember that she sold her house of that we take care of her.
Recently, my grand mom went to my Uncle Will who is a neurologist. He did some sort of test on my grand mom that gave results to my mom showing my grand moms memory lasted only about five minutes. When we tell my grand mom she lives with us, it’s only a matter of minutes before she asks again. I can’t help but wonder whets the next stage in my grand mom’s mental health. When I watch her alone, I always wonder if she will forget who I am. It’s a very sad disease that doesn’t have a cure. It’s difficult to tell what the next day will hold for her and my family.

The author's comments:
I wrote this about my grandmom who suffers from this disease.