Middle School Ruins Lives | Teen Ink

Middle School Ruins Lives

March 22, 2012
By Anonymous

Years ago I knew a girl, she was quiet, pretty, and wouldn't hurt a fly.
We met in 4th grade. The first day of school our new class lined up outside, I was very excited and ready to bounce off the walls, but out of the corner of my eye I saw a girl crying. Being the friendly girl I was I decided to talk to her, turns out she was new to the district and didn't have any friends, so I decided to make her mine. That whole year we were partners for projects, ate together at lunch, and played together during recess....little did we know, that was the first and the last year of our friendship. We never saw each other in fifth grade, by the time we reached 6th she had all new friends, in 7th her friends made me their prime target. “You're ugly, you're too tall, you'll never get a boyfriend” that's all I ever heard from those girls, except her. There was a silent bond between us that we just never broke, she never messed with me, I never messed with her and that's how it stayed. In 8th grade her behavior began to worry me, she got piercings, dyed her hair and had a new boyfriend every week. Soon after that I began hearing rumors that she was pregnant, of course I didn't believe it, that's not the girl I knew. It hit me like a ton of bricks, “the girl I knew”. Her pregnancy started showing and she finally admitted it. The last day of that school year was the last day I ever saw her. She dropped out and had a baby, I don't know when, I don't know the father, I don't know what ever happened to it, I don't even know its gender. All I know is two years later she still isn't back into school, she has an alcohol addiction and uses a fake I.D. to get into clubs. Whenever I think about her I feel like it could've turned out differently if only I did something to stop it. But was there really anything I could have done? The girl I knew no longer existed.