Bruises, Scars and Punishments | Teen Ink

Bruises, Scars and Punishments

By Alyx Rector BRONZE, Brandon, Wisconsin
Alyx Rector BRONZE, Brandon, Wisconsin

This place is so boring I thought to myself. It was 12 P.M on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon. Stuck inside. Grounded. Suspended. Two weeks of being home alone. Inside. All day. Doing chores. Right now I’m sitting here trying to write an apology to Amelia. Personally I don’t think I should be writing this.
It all started when I was walking down the hall to go outside for lunch when I overheard some guys talking about how pretty she was.

“Dude, she’s so hot!” said one guy.
“I love her hair, it’s so pretty and it works with her eyes,” said another.
I kept listening for a while, until I got so disgusted I almost threw up right there! After I walked away I went over to my group of friends who were playing jump rope at recess. I asked to join but Amelia, the new girl, said no and all my friends listened to her. I started to walk away to go do something else when I noticed they were whispering and looking over there shoulders at me with there dark beady eyes. Almost like they were talking about me. I started walking back towards them to talk to them.

“Listen here Amelia, just because you’re new and think you’re all that does NOT mean you can just take over my friends like that,” I said with a lot of anger in my voice.

“Want to bet?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Well they like me more and…”

“Come here you little brat,” I shouted furiously before she could even finish her sentence. Everyone was starting to crowd around us.
“FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!” was all I could hear. She started yelling something I couldn’t quite understand from all the shouting going on. On the outside I seemed pretty dang mad, like I could just jump on her at any given moment, but inside I didn’t really want to fight her. ‘Good girls don’t fight’ was something my dad always said to me. I was still so furious that she thinks she could just come here all pretty with that straight long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, and take over my friends. The shouting started to interrupt my thoughts and I remembered where I was then. Outside at recess, supposed to be fighting Amelia. I started walking up to her to tell her I didn’t want to fight her.
“Listen, I don’t…..”
“Loser,” was enough to get me so mad that right then and there I just punched her, so hard that she fell backwards on the ground. Her face looked frightened, but mad all together. Everyone was cheering me on by then. My friends, if they still are, looked disgusted with me. I then jumped on her and started punching her, and she was punching back. After what seemed like forever, a teacher came up to us and pulled me and Amelia apart. My hands were still in fists, when she came up. I was still so full of anger.

“What in the world is going on out here?” Ms. Bright yelled. Everyone started backing away by then, acting like they did nothing to instigate the confrontation.

“I was just standing out here with my friends jump roping when she just came up and pushed me and punched me. I didn’t do anything Ms. I was just having fun with my friends,” she said, all innocently.

“WHAT?! That is NOT how it happened. Ask anyone!” I shouted in her face.

“Whatever, just shut up and tell your story to someone who cares.”

“Me?! Shut up? You’re the one who’s going to get there butt kicked again if they don’t shut up.”

“Girls, Girls! That’s enough,” said Ms. Bright. “Both of you down to the principal’s office right now.” I started walking away. I saw a rock and kicked it as hard as I could. It went over to the other side of the street. Amelia walked slowly behind me pretending to cry; at least that’s what I thought. I turned around to look at her. Her face looked pretty beat up. Dark red angry circles were forming around her eyes and there were bloody scratches all over her face and arms. Ms. Bright was already in the principals’ office with Amelia when I got there. I had taken the long way around so I could clear my mind of all the anger.
“…Amelia didn’t do anything. It’s only her second week of school and she seems like such a good student. I don’t think she would have started it.”
“Mr. I didn’t do anything. I was just jumping rope and…”
“Amelia, your face looks pretty beat up, go to the nurse’s office for some ice and see what she tells you to do.”
“Alright, thanks.” She started walking out of the principals’ office, and saw me. Stopped, smirked, and kept on walking. My hands were in fists. All the anger came back to me.
“Get in there, he wants to talk to you,” said Ms. Bright. She looked at me. It almost seemed like she was disappointed. It angered me more then I already was. She shouldn’t be disappointed in me. I didn’t start it.
“Are you coming?” He called out to me.
“Yes, sorry sir.” I said as I walked in.
“What’s your number? I have to call your dad and tell him what happened.” I gave him my number. I was scared for him to call my dad. I really hope he doesn’t yell at me. I hate when he yells at me. He might even whip me if he thinks its bad enough. My daddy came in 20 minutes after Mr. Principal called him. He had a serious look on his face, almost kind of worried. He went in and they made me sit in the hall while they discussed. I didn’t try to listen in this time, because if I got caught, I’d be in even more trouble then I already am. I’m glad I didn’t wimp out on beating the life out of Amelia. I didn’t want Tom to know that I was a wimp and wouldn’t fight another girl, but maybe he thinks it’s just rude or un-girl like for a girl to fight another girl. I hope he doesn’t hate me. I’ve had a crush on him for a long time. For like two years. It’s so hard to get over him with his light brown hair, and green eyes. He’s so tall and handsome. I was in mid thought about Tom when I was interrupted by an annoying noise. It was familiar. It was daddy.

“Why do you have that big grin on your face missy?” He asked. I just stared at him because I didn’t know what to say to him. I didn’t want to say I was daydreaming about Tom, but I didn’t want to say I was happy that I hurt Amelia.
“Let’s go.” He said in an angry voice. I stood up and he grabbed me by the collar. “You’re in so much trouble when we get home.”

This started out as just a little paper in school, that turned out to be pretty good.