Cell Phones: Are They As Safe As They Seem? | Teen Ink

Cell Phones: Are They As Safe As They Seem?

By EazyE BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
EazyE BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Cell phones have been a necessity in the lives of many people for years. You most likely have one in your pocket right now. When you bought the phone, you probably only thought about the pros to having a cell phone, but have you ever considered that cell phones could have a downside? Could it be possible for cell phones to be too much of a good thing? Cell phones are an electronic device that operates wirelessly - could that be affecting our bodies? Has our reliance on cell phones weakened us should an emergency situation arise where cell phone were inoperable? Cell phones are a very handy tool, but they have potential negative consequences when you think about the health risks of using them.

The main argument for the idea that cell phones are harmful is that they produce radiation, which can lead to brain tumors. That is a strong argument, but is not the only thing that makes cell phones harmful. As helpful as cell phones can be to keep us in touch with others, organize our lives, entertain us, and provide handy information, they can also be very addicting. Once people fall into the cell phone addiction, much of their time is taken up either talking on the phone, texting, or playing video games. Their priorities change - often the priorities that should matter are put off. And the addiction not only hurts the cell phone user. There is a ripple effect as there isn’t as much time for those family members that aren’t involved in the cell phone communications. In fact they can be addicting enough to create health issues from dwelling on them too much.

For a few years, people have been suspicious about the cell phone radiation being harmful. Now many studies have proven that cell phones radiation has been linked to cancers. In fact, when you are talking on the phone, the radiation will penetrate up to six inches into your head. The only way to get around that is to use a wired device that is hooked up to your phone. A good rule of thumb is if something transmits a signal, and it is wireless, it produces harmful radiation. Even talking on a bluetooth can be very harmful, as it is also wireless technology. Some people might say that the radiation produced by cell phones is not enough to harm you, but countless studies have been done to prove that the radiation produced by cell phones is in fact, carcinogenic which means that it is known to cause cancer.

Just as with many modern day conveniences, cell phones have changed our entire perception of living. What will happen to us should an emergency situation arise where cell phone usage is too heavy, or the networks are inoperable? Will we be prepared to survive or do we rely too heavily on cell phones to give us all the answers?

For many people, the risks of cell phones outweigh the pros of cell phones, and for some people, the pros of cell phones outweigh the risks of cell phones. The question that people should have is do I really need a cell phone that bad where I have to have it with me every day otherwise my business will fail? If the answer is yes, then it is necessary to have a cell phone, but if you don’t need it, leave it at home. If the answer is no, I think that you should still have one, but you should only use it when you really need one. If you agree with me, and want to take action to educate people on the risk of cell phones, there is nothing you can do except getting the word out to as many people as possible.

on Mar. 13 2012 at 7:53 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
I like it!  All my friends only play games like Temple Run, and personally, I dislike that game.  I don't understand why they are so much fun and why they are so addicting.  Thank you for posting this :D