The Lonely Hearts Club | Teen Ink

The Lonely Hearts Club

By Andrea Michelson BRONZE, Lexington, Massachusetts
Andrea Michelson BRONZE, Lexington, Massachusetts

Valentine's Day is here once again, and this year is no different from any other. I am proud to share that I will be celebrating this lovely holiday with the Lonely Hearts Club, population: 1. That one and only member in the group would be yours truly, of course. I am just so incredibly pleased to have the honor of being alone on Valentine's Day for fourteen years and counting.

Okay, I'll cut the crap. Loneliness is never a walk in the park on any given day, but on February 14th, being single can be compared to walking through a cafeteria full of Plastics with a "kick me" sign on your back and clothing fresh from Target's juniors department. Or carrying a pile of fresh meat through a pack of hungry hyenas. Or my favorite, jogging through a blizzard in your birthday suit with the frigid air blowing up your--you get the picture. So this year, I've been filled with dread all month long.

I can't exactly get myself some hot Abercrombie model boyfriend to take me out for a candlelit dinner and buy me heart-shaped chocolates and two dozen roses for one night. I totally would if I could--who wouldn't? But the sad news is, I can't, and neither can you, lonely reader. So how do the loveless celebrate the day of love and get through it without a stress rash or an emotional meltdown?

Rule #1: Bring on the truffles. Just because you're single does not mean that the fun of Valentine's Day should be taken away with the poof of some cynical fairy's magic wand. And we all know that the best part of the holiday is being spoiled rotten--or should I say sickeningly sweet. So get out there and indulge in the last fancy treats left at Godiva and buy a gorgeous bouquet with an expensive vase to match. Enjoy a dinner out with friends, because while you may not be celebrating without a love interest, you aren't actually alone. By the end of the night, you'll be too happy (and probably a little bloated too) to even remember why you dreaded this day.

Rule #2: Stay positive. Okay, maybe your heart isn't just lonely, it's broken. Or possibly just bruised. Or you could have even been that unlucky to have had it smashed to teeny-tiny pieces when Valentine's Day was right around the corner. Anyway, your crush is dating that girl you just love to hate and there's nothing you can do to avoid them and their gag-worthy happiness. But instead of moping around all day long--which is nothing but obvious, believe me--try to see the pink fluffy side of things. They probably won't even last that long, and being tied down is really no fun anyway. So put a smile and some sexy perfume on and get ready for Rule #3.

Rule #3: You're single, so mingle already! Valentine's Day is the designated day to yes, cozy up with your sweetheart, but also for us single ladies to flirt like we've never flirted before. Come on, this day is an excuse to wear cute pink clothes and spice it up a bit--what are you waiting for? Maybe this year there will be a single guy out there waiting for you. All you have to do is put yourself out there and a new relationship could bloom. And how awesome would that be to have an anniversary on February 14th?

So cheers to the Lonely Hearts Club--to pigging out, to looking gorgeous, and to new possibilities. Happy Valentine's Day!

This piece goes out to anyone who has had to brave Valentine's Day alone...enjoy!