Drug and Alcohol Use By Teens | Teen Ink

Drug and Alcohol Use By Teens

February 20, 2012
By SingingIsMyLife BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
SingingIsMyLife BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream." -unknown


Drug and alcohol use by teens is a serious issue in this century. With more teens
drinking and abusing drugs each year there has been an increase in teenage suicide and
depression. Drugs and alcohol also decline the health of the user and can lead to death. Teens need to be aware of what they are doing and say no to drugs, alcohol, and peer
pressure.


More than 10 million people, ages 12 to 20, in this country report they have consumed alcohol in the past 30 days. The rate of current alcohol consumption increases with increasing age according to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health from 2.4% at age 12 to 22.4% at age 16, and 56.7% at age 20.


Programs in school like D.A.R.E teach kids about the importance of saying no to drugs and alcohol. But if you open up the curtains and see what is going on backstage you will see that no one listens or pays any attention to D.A.R.E. These types of programs are made to inform kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol, they aren't exactly taking the right approach. Instead of reading textbooks and writing about drugs and alcohol, they should be faced with real life situations. They could stage a situation where a kid asks their friend if they want and drugs. Kids will learn when its the right time to say “No”.This will teach them real life lessons and help kids to learn and prosper from these experiences. You live and learn.


Tobacco, drugs, and alcohol slow down the development of the human brain. They also can tamper with body functions, and organs. This can cause cancer, infections, permanent brain damage, and more. Teens who use drugs and alcohol have trouble learning and paying attention in school because of the effects of the drugs and alcohol they have consumed. Teens who use drugs and alcohol are ticking time bombs and they don’t even know it.


Drugs and alcohol tare teens away from their families and friends. No one wants to be around someone who could cause them harm or pressure them into harming themselves. This can cause depression in teens and eventually lead to suicide, and 15 percent of people with depression commit suicide because of it.





Peer pressure is one of the leading causes of drug and alcohol use in teens. Kids think its cool or hip to use these harmful products. They want to be popular, they want to fit in with the crowd, and they want friends. This my friends, is not the way to go. I know it may be hard to say no when you’re being pressured, trust me, I have been there. You just need to stand up and say no, build courage and you will go far in life.



Don’t let drugs ruin your relationships. health, and sense of self. Be smart, be wise, and
say no to drugs, alcohol, and peer pressure.

(http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20070906/)

(http://www.centurycouncil.org/underage-drinking/statistics).


The author's comments:
Safety is more important than following the crowd.