It's My Life | Teen Ink

It's My Life

By Bay26 BRONZE, Mosca, Colorado
Bay26 BRONZE, Mosca, Colorado

No more childish moments, no more “if I get in trouble” my parents will save me. I’m 18 now my life as an adult has begun. I can do it all on my own no more parent signatures for all my important papers. I can buy all the good things in life, it was time to go down to the store to get that pack of Marlboro red 100’s that I had my older brother always buy me. After getting the cigarettes I sat outside of this small little shack, thinking to myself “What am I going to do with my life? Who am i?” That was when I realized I need to find myself I need to find out what I am capable of.

It was only 4 days till graduation, and I had it all planned out I was taking my bags from this small town in Minnesota to something bigger, something better. I was taking my 99 Ford Ranger as far as I could to wherever I had to go, until it wouldn’t go no more. My parents had no idea that I was leaving, no one did actually. As graduation grew closer I got more and more nervous about my decision I had made.

As I walked down the path to life, in my red and black gown and cap, it was like there was a butterfly pavilion in my stomach. My parents looking at me, thinking that their little girl was going to college, to be something great. In reality their baby girl wasn’t going to college right away, I was going to find myself I was set on going somewhere, where no one knew my name. After getting that diploma in my hand I gave my mom and dad a hug and kiss and said goodbye. With confusion in there eyes, I felt bad for doing this to them. I told them that I was setting out on the most interesting adventure and told them I would write occasionally. Tears ran down my moms face like rain running down a window, but I knew I had to do this.

The next day right as the sun rose above the horizon, my bags already in the bed of my truck I was ready to go. I didn’t want to wake my parents, and see the sadness in there eyes and feel the hurt in there hearts. So I just left. I headed south through Iowa, trying to get to Florida. That’s where I am going start, I told myself. I ran into many strange people on my way there. One guy had this iguana that just sat on his hat and he fed him only taco bell, his name was Dennis he was an alright guy. Then I ran into this old lady named Kathy she was a awkward one, I was at this poll place and she just came up to me dancing, she had to be at least 65, but she keep talking about how she had some cannabis that she wanted to share with me and how she just got out of prison. I just got out of there.

After 3 hard weeks of almost all driving, I finally made it to Florida. I explored and finally found this town that I could live in, it was everything I needed. My life was almost complete. It had been almost a month I had been there and still hadn’t told my parents where I was, but I thought it was time to tell them everything. I went down to the local store and bought a post card with an alligator on it that said “Welcome to Florida”. I wrote on it and told them everything, I told them about Dennis and old lady Kathy. When I went down to the post office I ran into this guy named Everett, right when I laid eyes on him I knew it was meant to be. He was only a year older than me and had the prettiest hazel eyes. I slowly walked up to him and asked him if he had a stamp and he answered with a firm yes, as I started to walk away he asked “do you have a number?” I turned around and said no I have an address though. After that day we went on dates and dates. It’s been 7 months now that I have been in Florida with my amazing boyfriend who showed me that you can do anything if you put your mind to it, I am going to college right now to be an RN. My parents haven’t visited me yet but it’s probably because I disappointed them, I’m sure they will get over it though, as soon as I invite them to my wedding.