How to Maintain African American Hair | Teen Ink

How to Maintain African American Hair

By Hiphopqueen SILVER, Northampton, Massachusetts
Hiphopqueen SILVER, Northampton, Massachusetts

Do you have curly, frizzy, or nappy hair? African American hair is one of the most difficult types of hair to try to keep up with and keep healthy. Well if you do there are several different ways you can style it. You can braid it, straighten it, where it down with product, or where it up.

One of the ways you could where it is in a braid or braids. There are tons of different styles of braids. There are regular braids and French braids which are the most simple and easiest way to start off. There are also more difficult kinds such as corn rows, fish tails, micro braids, swiss braids, crown braids and many more. You may have noticed that a lot of African Americans usually where corn rows. Corn rows are great if you have split ends or damaged hair and want it to grow faster.

Another way to where your hair is to get it straightened. If you don’t have a lot of experience you may want to go get your hair done and they will teach you how and give you good tips. The best places to go are usually people who have your kind of hair or have dealt with your kind of hair. If you don’t then you will most likely not be satisfied with what they have done because they aren’t familiar with African American hair. You always want to make sure you have the best products to make your hair soft, silky, and smooth. The most important one you should start out with is a heat protect ant, to protect your hair from the heat and make sure you hair doesn’t break off or burn. Once you are done straightening it there are enormous amounts of great products to make your straight hair shine, such as: hair cream, straightening balm, and a smooth finishing serum.

It’s really hard to where your hair down naturally with no product since it tends to frizz or get knotty very easily, normally because it gets very dehydrated. If you want your hair to look more natural when you where it down, you would want to use a good leave in conditioner and a anti frizz serum right after you get out of the shower, and apply it to damp hair. If you want your hair to look less natural and have a wet look using gel, moose, hair spray will give prevent your hair from frizzing. A helpful tip when applying the gel is once it is all threw out your hair scrunch it will give you those perfect ringlet curls.

If you suffer from curly, frizzy or nappy hair hopefully this essay will give you helpful tips on how to keep it healthy and look high-quality. Braids, wearing it down, and straightening it are all easy great ways to look excellent. One last tip that is not only good for your hair but also for your skin and nails is to drink a lot of water through out the day. Its never to hard to keep your hair in good shape.

This is a story of my hair.