2011 Year in Review | Teen Ink

2011 Year in Review

By leah.sandefur BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
leah.sandefur BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

2012 is here. But before we travel into the New Year, it is time to reflect on 2011’s accomplishments and failures.

SPORTS: I think that the sports teams in Wisconsin have done the best out of all the other teams. The Badgers appeared in the Rose Bowl in January; the Packers won the Super Bowl in February and the Brewers were in the playoffs for the World Series this October. At the end of 2011, the Packers were 13-1 with Quarterback Aaron Rogers as the possible record breaker for yards passed in one season. The Packers will run into 2012 as the best team in the NFL.

CELEBRITIES: Everyone knows about the recent split of Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries after their 72 days of marriage. I think that it was a publicity stunt to make money from Kim’s point of view. But to take the entire spotlight off of them, there were also several other scandals that took place this year: Charlie Sheen had a melt down. He was admitted to drug rehab in January and then criticized the show “Two and a Half Men” and its creator. After that, Sheen appeared on several media shows explaining he was in a “winning” state of mind.
And I know no one will forget the Casey Anthony trial and the disturbing evidence surrounding Caylee. Even though Anthony was proven not guilty, she will continue to be criticized.
And last, but not least: Justin Bieber. Girls around the world will remember the day that a 20-year-old Mariah Yeater said that Justin Bieber was the father of her baby. Bieber’s fans went crazy because of the alleged rumor and the media exploded with interviews and pictures of the 20-year-old. I knew that as soon as these rumors came out fans would not react positively. And with Bieber’s crazy year of album releases, performances, and spending time with girlfriend Selena Gomez, he couldn’t help but be angry at the rumors as well.
ECONOMY: This year has been full of booms and busts. The stock market fluctuated daily and many small investors lost a lot of money and possibly even got in debt. The occupy Wall Street movement caused controversy and continues to top headlines. I am very hopeful that next year will go better for the stock market because I saw so many people suffer.
JOBS: The unemployed rate continued to rise. With a new year I am hopeful 2012 be more successful than 2011. President Obama will continue to help out the loss of jobs situation in 2012 as much as possible. It is also a scary situation for incoming college students. If I went into college the way that the employment rate looks right now, I would be very unsure of my future.
WAR: Because of our recent pull out of the war in Iraq, many are hopeful to regain lost money and pull the U.S. out of its black hole of debt. The U.S. has been very successful in the plans to kill Osama Bin Laden. The whole country raved over the fact that the leader of al-Qaeda and plotter of the attack of the twin towers, was finally dead. It was a relief to hear that he was dead because he could have carried out more terrorist attacks that would have taken our country into further turmoil.
NEW YEAR: 2012 can be a new start. It is time to think back on everything that went wrong or right and fix it in the year to come. However, if you are afraid of the 2012 phenomenon that was predicted by the Mayans, don’t be. It is only a theory that has been dismissed by several specialists.