Stop, Think, and Appreciate. | Teen Ink

Stop, Think, and Appreciate.

January 19, 2012
By Anonymous

Being angry about something that you have no power to change is a waste of time and energy. A better way to approach a difficult situation is to look at it with an interdisciplinary approach. I spent a good amount of time when I was younger being angry about having to do a lot more extra work around the house than her. My chores consisted of doing the dishes, vacuuming, taking the dogs out, helping my grandma, taking out the trash, making beds, and on top of these and more, helping Sara with her chores. I always felt like she was spoiled. I made lists of the things that I had to do that she didn’t. What I didn’t understand at the time was that Sara would make me who I am today.
An average person’s ideal life consists of a series of goals, which through hard work, and determination, can be obtained in the future. Imagine living with limitations on simply the goals that you have for yourself to accomplish when you wake up in the morning. When living with a disability, hard work and determination are not the only factors that get between what you want to do and what you’re able to do. My sister Sara was born with a disease called hydrocephalus. Growing up I was able to learn firsthand that I was truly blessed with the physical and mental ability I was given. Remembering to perform even simple tasks can be more then difficult for her. Memories are stained in my head on the days when we were kids and I had to remind her to put on her shoes, brush her teeth, and even put a coat on in the winter. In high school, I reminded her to bring her books, get her lunch money, and find her at the end of the day to show her where the bus was. I know that I have an advantage over other college students because I understand the full potential of my abilities, and most importantly I appreciate the skill of the mind and body that I have. Even now that she is nineteen years old and in college I drive her to school, to work, and most importantly, make sure I spend time at the end of the day to see how she’s doing. I never truly would have understood what responsibility meant without her. Sara has shown me more about myself and made me realize what kind of person I am and who I would like to be.