Letter To Elie Weisel | Teen Ink

Letter To Elie Weisel

January 23, 2012
By Christine.Lowden BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Christine.Lowden BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Elie,
After reading your book, Night, it gave me a better understanding of death. Even before reading your book I just thought it was just another English assignment. Normally I'm of those people that hates reading and can't focus on what's happening, but with your book I couldn't put it down.
My name is Christine. I'm a high school freshmen in Colorado. Something in your book really touched me about the word death. Everyday in those concentration camps you saw death everywhere and you just had to except it. You couldn't do anything about it, but what if you could have done something to make it stop?
Knowing that your mother and sister were sent to the crematorium you probably felt great sorrow knowing what they were put through. In the recent year I have experienced people I knew passing away. Some were expected others weren't.
I would like to tell you about Brad. Brad had became a good friend with my brother. He was one of those crazy, annoying people that made others laugh. I'd always make fun of him like nothing would ever happen. I had seen Brad the first day if school. Not thinking anything of it. That was the last time I would ever see Brad again. Brad has committed suicide after two days of his junior year of high school. I felt guilty for making fun of him. I thought it was my fault and that I could have done something to change it, just like how you might have felt about your mother and sister. I don't think I've ever cried so hard. Did you ever cry? Had other people?
I'll never really completely understand why Brad wanted to take his life but your book made me realize that all those people didn't have a choice to live. I would love to learn more about what you had to live through. Thanks You!


Sincerely,
Christine L.


The author's comments:
Night by Elie Weisel