Looking on the Bright Side of Buffalos | Teen Ink

Looking on the Bright Side of Buffalos

January 10, 2008
By Anonymous

I hear the familiar sound of my mom nagging at me to get down stairs. I walk through the door, and my mom is standing at the car door loading the last bit of gear in our big bum (the name I call it) prism. It is I’m sorry to say quite an ugly car. Although its colors are beautiful it has a big bum which has always stricken me as ugly. Well we get in the car and we begin to clunk our way to Yellowstone. My family has always had an annual vacation to the Utah side of Bear Lake, but that year it was substituted for Yellowstone. Hey, a trip to Yellowstone, who’s complaining. I put in my most favorite CD in the whole world. My brother begins to object. “Emily you know how much I hate this singing crap, put in my mix (go to freaking sleep).” “Heck no I have the front seat this chance only comes once in a blue moon.” “Fine” He mumbles under his breath. He hates when I win, but I just love It. Anyways we still have a long car ride ahead of us, we aren’t anywhere near finished with our little adventure.
After six long hours, quarrelling, stopping for food, quarrelling again stopping for a bathroom break. It was a long ride let me tell you. But finally at long last we made it to our destination. I unload my heavy bag. Yes I am totally a girl so there was a lot of accessories in it. I’m sorry if you don’t like it but girls usually need things like soap just in case there is only a port potty which usually doesn’t come with good smelling soap. (You have to make sure that it smells good). There was also a camera, a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, lotion (the good smelling kind), makeup, snacks, chap stick, a flashlight, a book, hiking boots, Hair bands, hairspray, hair gel, deodorant, cute clothes (in style), my best perfume, money, friend’s addresses, bobby pins, and fishing stuff. So as you can see with all that stuff in my bag it was pretty heavy. Our next quest would be the hard difficulies of wrestling the tent and making it stay up. That was hard let me tell you.
We ate a late dinner that night. It was hot and felt good, after the cold night air. Though it was summer I felt the wind nip at my nose and leave me to my current state of freezingness. I felt the heat of the fire that cooked our wonderful, tasty, hot, meal. It marched through my body, starting from my toes leading all the way up my body thouroughly making me warm. The next couple of days were wonderful, but the night of the 25 was the night that our vacation came to an abrupt end. We went up to Mamoth hot springs. It was too late when we got there to do much swimming, so we just headed back to the campsite right when we got there. So we went clunking along in our big bum prism. It was a very dark night, not many stars that you could see. They hid behind the gray floaty clouds. So with so many clouds there was no moon and now stars so it was pitch black. It was late, and I was getting tiered. I let my eye lids slowly droop over my eyes. Next thing I could hear a tap tap tapping of some horses, they were tap dancing. I got up and began to tap dance when all of a sudden. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRCCCHHHHH CRAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! I woke up just in time to see a big fat hairy beasty beast known as a buffalo roll off of our clunker.
We had many car problems we were able to drive it to the mechanics which was weird as he told us our car should have blown up, but luckily it didn’t. So we drove a rental car (that was totally hot) to my grandma’s house. Then we had to drive my grandma’s big clunckery motor home back to our house.
So there was a lot unexpected problems with that trip, but one thing I think that many people should learn in life, is the power of looking on the bright side. It is truly a wonderful power. I mean we got to drive a totally hot car back to my grandma’s house. We didn’t have our car blow up. And it gave someone the chance to help someone in need.