September 11, 2001 | Teen Ink

The whole world woke up on a beautiful Tuesday morning ready for another day. We continued our traditional routines. Many went to work and to school. Little did we know that 3,000 people less our population would be returning home for dinner that Tuesday due to a shock to our country. On the morning of September 11, 2001 a tragedy struck the United States full force, an event that shook our country’s foundation entirely and a major blight on the American economy. An event that took the lives of nearly 3,000 innocent people and 19 terrorists from a group called al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda had hijacked three airplanes, American Airlines Flight 11, American Airlines Flight 77, and United Airlines Flight 175, and purposely crashed them into some of the most significant buildings in the United States of America. The buildings destroyed were the World Trade Center (Also known as the Twin Towers) in New York City, New York and the Pentagon in Arlington Country, Virginia. Another plane that was hijacked by al-Qaeda members was the United Airlines Flight 93, crew and passenger members had attempted to regain control of the plane and ended up crashing in a field in Somerset Country, Pennsylvania. The valiance of the United Airlines Flight 93 passenger and crew members is greatly appreciated by all American citizens. The destruction of the Twin Towers and the bravery of the United Airlines Flight 93 passengers have been acknowledged in films that you can rent at a local video store. Films such as, World Trade Center and United 93. 9/11 didn’t just affect some major buildings of the U.S. but it also effected how our country’s inhabitants felt. The security that we once had felt had diminished. Our safety factor had been taken from us by a group of people whose intention was to cause our society to have a breakdown. As an American citizen myself, I question how anyone could commit a hate crime with such depth. However, I see 9/11 as an event that brought U.S. citizens together. Since the shocking event, our country has improved its security measures and strengthened its bond with its members. United and as one country, we stand.