Religious Descrimination | Teen Ink

Religious Descrimination

By cowgirl5381 BRONZE, Oak Creek, Colorado
cowgirl5381 BRONZE, Oak Creek, Colorado

Everywhere you look, you see people discriminating against another religion. There is not a single religion that is not being discriminated against, or is discriminating. Religious discrimination is just like bullying. People do it to make them feel better about themselves, but that doesn’t make it right. When a person is bullying someone, the bully usually has problems, and doesn’t know how to feel better about themselves so they resort to putting others down and put them on top. In religious discrimination one religion, “the bully” is the underdog and isn’t very respected so they resort to putting down other religions.
There are over 7 billion people in the world today. 33% of that population is Christians which adds up to 2.1 billion people (Adherants.com, 2007). 21% of the world population or 1.5 billion people are Islamic, 14% or 900 million believe in Hinduism (Adherants.com, 2007), 16% or 1.1 billion is non religious (Adherants.com, 2007), and all other religions add up to 18.58% (Adherants.com, 2007). The biggest religion is Christianity, but it is also the single most discriminated against (Faustova, 2011). Before the Americas were discovered, the people could only practice the religion that the king believed. If they had a different religion besides what the king did, they were killed. When America was founded, people migrated to the states to get away from the discrimination and be able to practice whatever religion they believed in. This is what the country was founded on. Freedom of religion is prominent, but discrimination is still there. It is not a specific person discriminating this time, but it is everybody against everybody. People think that if someone doesn’t believe what they believe or think the way that they think then they are weird and don’t belong. The government is trying to stop this, but it is inevitable. As long as there is someone different than themselves, people will discriminate. The simple solution would be for everybody to realize that not everybody is the same and to accept the differences.
Muslims have never had a huge population of followers and is the same way today. In great Britain, there are cases of people saying that Muslims are verbally abusing other workers and trying to convert them to Islamic. Muslims are trying to make a comeback, but they are doing it the wrong way. They are discriminating against other religions to try to get the people to convert to Islam. They should just try to show everybody what a great religion Islamic is, instead of forcing people into Islam. They are giving themselves a bad reputation by making people afraid of them and seeing them as violent.
Religious discrimination is horrible and needs to be put to an end. Schools are doing everything they can to stop bullying, so why not religious discrimination? Religious discrimination is a big problem that can be prevented. All we need to do, as equal human beings, is to realize that everybody is different and not everybody is going to believe in the same religion. I don’t like to be told that what I believe in is wrong and neither does anybody else. During Hitler’s reign many Jews were hiding so they wouldn’t have to go to the concentration camps to spend the rest of their lives working. Hitler killed about 6 million Jews (The Simon Wiesenthal Center's) because they weren’t what he thought was ideal.
There are bad practices of religion that probably shouldn’t be allowed to happen because they are known for terrorism. Even though they do things that we believe is not right, they are still human beings and deserve to practice their own religion. If we can practice our religions they way we want, they should be able to do the same thing. They are still human beings with feelings.
Religious discrimination has been a problem for as long as anyone can remember. It’s been around for a long time, but it doesn’t mean that it has to stay around. We can put an end to it if we tried. Everybody is different, and the sooner everybody realizes that the better. You can’t force anybody to believe in something if they have different opinions about it. We are all made different and that is never going to change, it is pointless to try to make people be the same because it just doesn’t work. Religious discrimination is a nasty thing that needs to be put to an end.

I did this for my College English Comp class final.