My Sister: My Inspiration | Teen Ink

My Sister: My Inspiration

January 9, 2012
By louis mitta BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
louis mitta BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Inspiration does not have to be found only in famous people, but can be found in one’s own family. My sister Melanie is my inspiration because she has outstanding qualities that are exemplified through her actions. Melanie is twenty years old and a junior at the University of Florida (UF) in the Junior Honors Medical Program. She is young, but she has accomplished so much even with the challenge of language. She learned English well enough to be accepted at UF and aspires to be a physician. There are three qualities Melanie has that inspire me to follow in her footsteps and become a productive, successful global citizen. Melanie is kind, intelligent, and she is able communicate very well.
My sister is one of the kindest people I have ever known. She is willing to give of herself without regard to inconvenience or challenge. Recently she volunteered in Costa Rica to work with children with health problems. Rather than take a vacation over her school break, she chose to spend her time helping others. It impressed me that she did not take time for herself, but instead became part of a group that made a difference in people’s lives. Her working in a Central American country was powerful to me and helped me to realize that the world is not such a big place. Her skills and abilities helped her to become part of an important team that provided services to the unfortunate. It is her ambition and intelligence that makes her a more skillful person.
Melanie is intelligent. She came over to the United States not knowing English, yet she was able to overcome the language barrier, become an honor student, and continue her education at the University of Florida. One of the things that Melanie has taught me is to do superior work above my level and push myself. “Intelligence is not just book smart; you must know how to use your resources well.” This quote is something my father has told my sister and me all of our lives. It is Melanie’s ability to ask insightful questions and engage in meaningful conversations that has enabled her to be successful as a pre-med student.
Openness and communication have never been an issue for Melanie; she can talk to anyone and in two languages. She was able to translate between Spanish of the natives in Costa Rica and English of the doctors and that gave comfort to the family of the ill children. Her smile is contagious and her warmth comes through, even to strangers in a strange land. I admire her ability to communicate with ease and hope that I too will be the same.
These three qualities Melanie possesses have shown me the skills I need to have and hone to be successful. She has inspired me to follow in her footsteps and become a productive, successful global citizen. It is my intention to do this by first becoming a part of the International Baccalaureate program at Vanguard High School. After high school I aspire to pursue a degree in the medical field and use my language skills so that I too can work with people that need help in a global environment. I hope one day to inspire others too. It is a profound thought that one person can have an impact in this world.