Reason for the Season | Teen Ink

Reason for the Season

By Jordee BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Jordee BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

For the past several years’ people have been told how horrible the economy is. However when you see that Americans spend 450 BILLION DOLLARS ON CHIRSTMAS EVERY YEAR, you wonder if your economy is really that bad. The problem today is that people have lost the reason for this wonderful season. Instead of enjoying this exciting time, many people are just happy to get through it. Everybody is worried about giving and receiving the right present and still staying in their budget. Even if you don’t realize it, there are so many ways to help.

One great way to help is making your own Christmas gifts. For example you can make everyone you know great Christmas cards, or just make cookies for your good friends. By doing these simple and easy gift ideas you could save so much money, and nothing is better than a homemade gift. Another advantage of making your own gifts is that you have an opportunity to spend time with all the people you love and care about. That is the real reason for the holiday season.

To avoid the commercialized Christmas interpretation is to give your time. Remember the saying “time is money” One amazing way you can practice this is doing chores or favors for people with no charge. You can simply sled or do a winter activity with your brother instead of fighting with him. You could even do something as simple as just talking to someone to lift his or her spirits. By giving your time you are not spending money or energy, and you are helping both them and yourself. People try to survive the holiday season rather than relax and enjoy this special time of year. This is the time to make someone feel loved, appreciated and accepted.

By making your presents, and giving your time you will have so much money left over. With this extra cash you can help the less fortunate. Help a nearby homeless shelter or donate the money to your school, or church to send to other parts of the world. By doing this kind and thoughtful thing you are helping someone else have a wonderful holiday just like you. If just one percent of 450 billion dollars was spent in a compassionate way, 1 million individuals could be rescued from slavery, hunger, thirst, and oppression. One percent is a tiny number when compared to 450 billion dollars. If spending less on gifts people don’t want or need could mean saving millions of lives this year, what would you choose?

Information used from:
. "Christmas Can (still) Change the World." Advent Conspiracy. N.p., 2008. Web. 14 Dec 2011. <Adventconspiracy.org>.

I was thinking of the holiday and how so many people base it off consumerism apeal instead of the real reason for the season!