Blueberry Experience | Teen Ink

Blueberry Experience

By Brody1026 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
Brody1026 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

The smooth glass bowl sat atop a pedestal. It was studded with gems of all kinds: rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds. The bowl was covered in decorative patterns of all kinds made with several different metals: iron, copper, gold, silver, steel, and chrome. This beautiful work of art is believed by the native people to be forged by the gods as a gift to the great king of ancient Mesopotamia, it is irreplaceable. Inside the bowl are the simple shapes of blueberries. These blueberries appear to be freshly picked, but also washed clean. Light dew still sits on them.

I suddenly have an irresistible urge to taste one of these blueberries. My hand moves to grab one of them, but some strange force pushes the bowl out of my reach. Instead my hand pushes the bowl off the pedestal and it smashes to the ground, but the blueberries fly up into the air and fall right on my face. Just then a net is thrown on top of my and I am dragged off into the jungle were the natives live.

The natives tied me up and started dancing around me as the chief explained what they were going to do with me. Since they believe I had cursed them by breaking the bowl they were going to sacrifice me to their gods. I started to freak out. After about five minutes I started to hear sounds, and they were getting closer. I then accepted my fate and looked back on the good moments of my life.

I look up to see a rescue helicopter with the local armed forces logo on it. The natives run it fear of these men armed with guns and flee deeper into the jungle. A young man unties me and explains that they do this once a month to some naïve tourist and how they always have to keep a watch on them. Luckily for me these natives keep and regularly update a blog, which tipped off the local armed forces. They call this a Blueberry Experience because of how the natives poison the berries with an irresistible scent. I haven’t revisited the Mesopotamia area since.