Classifying Teen Texters | Teen Ink

Classifying Teen Texters

December 1, 2011
By k_shea BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
k_shea BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Zzz zzz zzz! Could that be an incoming text message? Why yes, yes it is. This message just might change the opinion about that new friend from school that you regrettably gave your number to. Teenagers are trying to keep up with every bit of new technology in this day and age and the exchange of cell phone numbers seems to be mandatory. If a student in high school does not own a cell phone, they are doomed in the communication competition throughout their whole four years of high school. There are multiple different types of texters ranging from one side of the playing field all the way to the other. Ultimately, the way a text is perceived is based on how the message is worded and how it is said. There are distinct categories of texters that most teenagers can be placed into. There is the compulsive texter, that oh-so-smiley texter, and of course the extremely grammatically incorrect texter.

Compulsive texters are among those who are missing the imperative chip in their brain that tells their rapidly moving fingers to stop texting. One who cannot go a single day without sending a pointless text message to someone should not be given the liberty to have a cell phone with unlimited text messaging rights. Most of the time, these text messages are nothing but that famous one-worder. Sending a simple “Hey” or “What’s up?” every single day, believe it or not, does indeed become a tidbit bothersome. It is very likely to end up without a reply when such impulsive actions occur on a daily basis. On the occasion that the textee does contain the urge to reply, the texter will most likely not maintain a full fledged conversation. “What’s up?” is not exactly the best conversation starter. This brings to focus another point. They are obviously incapable of having even a colloquial chat. Thus, the boring texter is oblivious as to how he is putting a damper onto the day of the textee. Ultimately, this results in a pointless mind numbing point in time of communication. Although, a compulsive texter does not seem to realize the faults made. They go on throughout everyday sending text messages repeatedly.

Then, there is that cheerful texter that does not go one text message without placing a smiley face or a winkey face at the end of a message. The series of colon, dash, and closed parenthesis gives off a sense of glee and causes a sneaky smile (hopefully going unnoticed) to stretch across the face of the textee. For the most part, teenagers use these symbols as a way of flirting and are perfectly aware of when they are using them, but they view this as an absolutely necessary way to text their one and only cutie-patootie. Indeed these text messages are much appreciated in most cases, but if the sender does not be careful, these symbols of “smiling” could be easily overdone. The extremely cheerful types have no idea about this “over usage” of a symbol. In this case, the recipient of the message is bound to begin thinking; “Hmm, I think he uses these smiley faces to everyone …” Quite frankly, the recipient is probably right. This is the case of a catch-22; when sending too many smiley faces, they are not taken seriously, but when smiley faces are used all too sparingly the recipient may easily get bored to death with the lack of emotion.

However, becoming extremely bored is not as dreadful as having to converse with a teenager incompetent of using correct grammar. “Dis Iz Gona B A Grate Daye” is a horribly constructed sentence that does not display any intelligence whatsoever concerning the English language. These sentences are usually difficult to understand and it may take several minutes to decode the seemingly hidden message. To recover the meaning one must delve into the mind of these “cool” kids which usually ends up in huge, completely wrong manipulation of words. Sadly, many teenagers type out these sentences everyday and find no fault in themselves. These texters are usually attempting to appear laid back as if they do not care a single bit. A person with such a boring life to where texting is the highpoint of their day probably does not have the most interesting things to say. Their day to day life might not be too great if all they are about is upping their ratings on the imaginary coolness scale. The receiver of these types of messages will, in reality, be at a loss for words and show their friends the incompetence’s of such a person. Although, if the receiver is an unconfident freshmen who looks up to the sender, the receiver will most likely pick up these dastardly habits and use them. This then results in a never ending chain to where adolescents pick up these grammatical mistakes for future use.

These chains are apparent in each and every one of the texting styles. There is always that one kid that is singled out and complained about for doing this. No matter what the style is, it will be criticized and critiqued by those receiving it. Teens love to criticize. For some, their texting style may change because of a complaint, creating hypocrites out of the texting population. Yes, hypocrites. After seeing another person’s point of view, one becomes self-conscious about their texting style and wants to change for the sake of others’ opinions. The used-to-be nit-picker that once ridiculed a style is now utilizing that same style first hand. Whether the texter is aware of their texting style or not, everyone tends to have one. The likelihood of each type coming in contact with each other is fairly high when involving the twenty-first century where texting is all the rage. Chances are that no matter who the person is, they will have a texting style wheather it is associated with the compulsive texter, the one who has a never ending amount of smiles, the seemingly uneducated texter.