Divorce | Teen Ink

Divorce

December 1, 2011
By Anonymous

There was a point in my life where I thought I would never be happy again. My family is separated, it will never be the same again. The most significant even in my life was when my parents divorced. Surprisingly this even changed my life in a good way. It made me look at things more positively, changed the way I lived, and I grew up and matured faster.

I realized my situation wasn’t the worst it could possibly be is the reason I looked at things more positively. I mean its a tough time for anyone to go through a divorce. I learned to make the best out of every situation and make it the best it can be. It also changed my life because I now have a "double life."

Now that my parents were divorced I have what some people call a "Double life." I have two houses, two beds, rooms, etc. The thing I didn't really like is having four Christmases: One with my mom and her side of the family, and then one with my dad and his side of the family. Some kids would life that. It's not like I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It also gets old having my parents argue about who gets us on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, and so on. That's just like every other day of the week though, too.

I started having to memorize if it's moms or dads day in about fourth or fifth grade. My parents weren't divorced yet at that time but they were separated. At that time it was tough to remember okay its Monday I go to mom’s, Tuesday I go to dads, etc. As it went on though, it got easier. Except for when my parents would switch up the days and I would end up at the wrong house that I was supposed to be at for that day. My parents understood though. But, having to remember all of that made me grow up a little. It was complicated because if I was ever at my mom’s and I wanted something at my dad’s or vice versa its kind of difficult. But, at the end of this whole experience, it didn't turn out to be so bad. I think this experience changed me in a good way.

It may not be the best situation in the world but it sure was better then before. I'd rather be living in two peaceful houses then in one un-peaceful house. these three things explained how my parents divorce changed my life. at one point in life i did think i was never going to be happy again. That thought did change, though. Now that i went through this, its changed my life forever.

The author's comments:
This is something that happened in my life