Art Education in Our Nation | Teen Ink

Art Education in Our Nation

By Cathyromo BRONZE, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Cathyromo BRONZE, New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Our planet is art. We breathe art. We are God's fine art! Because art is bound to our innermost being we cannot help but embrace art. We cannot fathom the beginnings of art. We cannot plot the first appearances of art. We cannot pinpoint or define art. Art is within us, we are within art.
Art education is of utmost importance. Specifically because a lie that has long permeated our culture must be revealed and replaced with the truth. Our society revolves around the concept that students must excel in math, English or science. The SAT, the standardized verdict of East coast high school seniors, consists of three sections: math, reading and writing. The ACT, the decision maker the West, is similar but adds science. These subjects are crowned "core classes" and art classes are deemed "optional electives." We are classically conditioned to discredit these rich opportunities.
Further, the concept of being well-rounded is as good as yesterday's trash. The truth is some students will run five minute miles, some draw spectacularly with ease, some write with inborn passion, some design dresses, some naturally picture crowd worthy dances. Why, if you have a beautiful gift, waste time building other areas that you may be well rounded.
I adore the guitar. I have a passion for it. If I decided I needed to be well rounded and picked up the trombone, saxophone, harmonica and the piano I would never be able to be a great guitarist.
Similarly, all students have a passion. All students have a God given gift Who are we to judge it? Who are we to say which gifts are more desirable, more worthy. The answer is none! I cannot rephrase the prefect words of a Casting Crowns song I recently heard. "You see the poets thought the dancers were shallow. And the soldiers thought the poets were weak. And the elders saw the young ones as foolish. And the rich man never heard the poor man speak." The song goes on to say, "It is the rhythm of the dancers that gives the poets life. It is the spirit of the poets that gives the soldiers strength to fight. It is the fire of the young ones, it is the wisdom of the old, it is the story of the poor man that's needing to be told."
Art education is an opportunity to honor the artists amongst us.