The Power Of One | Teen Ink

The Power Of One

By ashleew6 BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
ashleew6 BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois

“One person can make a difference, and every person must try.” –John F. Kennedy.
The power of one to me could mean many things.

One of many ideas that come to my mind when I think of the power of one is someone who is strong enough to hold himself and the ones around him together. When I think about this I think about my father. He not only keeps his head held high and does well for himself but for his family as well. My dad keeps a steady job running his businesses and supporting his children. As the man of our family he keeps our family together by staying in our lives and making an effort to be in it.

Another thing that comes to my mind when I think of the power of one is when a couple get married and they become one. These two people chose to say vows to each other and promise to spend the rest of their lives together.

When the power of one is in my mind I think of a group as a whole. When a school comes together as one for a cause they are all standing up for what they believe in together. Also, when my high school had an assembly each grade went up against each other to beat all the others. This showed we could all be one.

Lastly, the most important thing that comes to mind when I think about the power of one is when a person can overpower his fears or obstacles in his life. My step-sister, Sami overcame an obstacle in her life of not being able to eat, walk, or do anything normal for a week after she had her appendix taken out, but she conquered it better than I could have. She has the power of one.

In conclusion, the power of one has many different meanings. As John F. Kennedy said every person must try to make a difference. I believe if you try, anyone can make a difference even if it’s only in one person’s life.