Videomaking as a Hobby | Teen Ink

Videomaking as a Hobby

By Paragon BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Paragon BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Call me if anything goes wrong. And one more thing: Don't call me."

Do you recognize the names Spielberg, Eastwood, or Lucas? Well, making videos isn’t just for greats like them! You, too, can have a lot of fun and make great videos with the help of the right equipment.
The first thing you will need is a good camera. You probably want good picture and sound quality, but remember that the better quality a camera has, the higher the price will be, so a professional production camera is probably not necessary. Here is a list of affordable, good quality camcorders.
?
Panasonic HDC-TM90 Camcorder: Full HD 1920 x 1080p quality, $339
?
Canon VIXIA HF R20 Camcorder: Full HD 1080p quality, $278

Another thing all video makers need is a good editing system so they can make cuts, add sound effects, and polish their footage. A video without editing is like toast without butter: rough, bland, and definitely lacking flavor. Here are some affordable options for the casual filmmaker.
?
Corel VideoStudio Pro X4: user-friendly and powerful, $40
?
Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate v.15: fast, multi-feature, and automatic saving, $71

Many of the videos that I have made include special video effects, such as fire and lasers. They are not always necessary, but if you plan on making any science fiction or magic-themed videos, some special effects will be necessary. Effects can also add excitement and interest to almost any film! All of these programs can be installed on your computer, provided it meets the specifications.
?
Adobe After Effects CS5.5: highly advanced features and great quality (Author Recommendation!) $378.32
?
HitFilm Ultimate: good for flashy effects, $331.95
NOTE: Most software is universally compatible. That is, it will work on both Macs and Windows PCs. Even so, it’s worth checking that the programs will actually work on your computer.

Once you’ve made your videos, it can be fun to get a free account on a site like YouTube or Vimeo so that you can share your videos with the whole Internet! It’s great to get ideas and feedback on your creations, and sites like these can provide that. Who knows? If your videos become popular enough, you could become another Spielberg, Eastwood, or Lucas!