I Have A Bully | Teen Ink

I Have A Bully

By IndiraAdams BRONZE, Groznyy, North Carolina
IndiraAdams BRONZE, Groznyy, North Carolina

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

The first remark hits you like a slap in the face. What was that? Although we like to imagine coming back with a sly remark, most of us are left speechless from the shock of being unexpectedly attacked. Congratulations. You’ve just been bullied.

It doesn’t seem like it at first, but your bully has started a chain of attacks that will hurt your feelings. Or even worse, hurt you. All of us think that we’d be strong enough to handle the situation, but the truth is that when you’re going through it, you feel utterly weak. Most of all, you are filled with anger at your own self…”Why didn’t I say that?!” is a question that will always keep coming back into your mind.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt

Often times, we don’t do anything because we refuse to admit to ourselves that a bully is actually bullying us. How did this happen? Instead, we tell ourselves that it’s no big deal, he/she didn’t say anything that bad, or brush off the continues attacks as simply a lack of manners. But either way, your predator will continue to put you down and make you feel powerless, like the prey, leaving you with a bitter taste in your mouth, and a full heart. Only when you realize that you are being bullied, and decide to do something about it, only then will you grow strong, powerful, and unbeatable. Being prey is a personal decision, and no one can make the choice for you.

The single best piece of advice I can give you is to stand up for yourself. It’s a skill you’ll need through out your whole life. It doesn’t have to be a witty or smart comeback. All you have to do is say, “Do not talk to me like that. Who do you think you are?” And what happens then? You just took their best weapon away from them — your silence.

This will be enough for small offenders. They might try to make a few more moves, but if you continue to say, “Do not talk to me that way,” they will get the point and back off.

Unfortunately, you will encounter many cruel people in this world, and if it gets to a point where you can’t control the situation, get help. Please know that your parents, teachers, and school counselors are always willing to help. There is nothing wrong with sharing your situation with an adult, and getting their assistance in handling it. There is no body that can’t be stopped. Get the help both you and your bully need. The power is in you.

Bullies are actually very small, weak people. They are so uncertain of themselves, they have to put others down to make themselves feel better. In truth, they need help, because being mean is abnormal. You are worth a lot, and no one has the right to put you down. You deserve only the best people surrounding you, friends that will lift you up, not put you down. Be confident. Be great. As Muhammed Ali said, “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” Remember that, and move along with your life.

I wrote this piece for my blog because I wanted to write something that would empower a bullied teen, letting them know that they are not alone, and they have to strength to do something about being bullied.