What Matters:People | Teen Ink

What Matters:People

By TheKidWithGreenGlasses BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky
TheKidWithGreenGlasses BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky

Some people think what matters is how much money you make, or what kind of car you drive, or what your social status is. But those people are wrong. What really matters is people. The only problem is no one realizes how selfish they’re being by gossiping, or not helping others who need it, or discriminating others for a ridiculous reason simply because they can. People have all in all desensitized the human condition because of their selfishness and it’s showed the real monsters we as humans can become.

People gossip about others all the time without even thinking about how hurtful it could be to the other person(s). They don’t consider how a little comment about someone could instantly ruin their day if they heard it because they’re too busy trying to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down and getting a few laughs. This shows how selfish people are; putting someone else down for their own benefit, as if the other person doesn’t have feelings and emotions – but they do.

Many people don’t take the time or money to get involved with charities or charity work. In fact, only 26% of people in the US volunteer each year and a survey of 630 Americans showed that participants spend more than ten times as much on personal items than on charitable options. It’s not at all difficult to make some sort of a contribution to a charity or charitable cause. If we can take the time to trek for hours around the mall and buy a fifty dollar pair of shoes, then we can certainly take the time to pack a couple boxes at a local food drive or donate a few extra dollars to someone who truly needs it. Just think: if you were in a situation where you and your family didn’t even have food on the table every night, you would want someone to help.

When it comes down to it, people don’t care what they do to others. Throughout history people have been judged, bullied, and discriminated against based on absurd reasons like race, religion, or social status. A good example of this is the Holocaust when millions of innocent people were murdered. Adolf Hitler, the evil mastermind behind this horrific event, killed off 90% of the Jewish population in his attempt to wipe out the entire race to feed his own selfish desire for what he called the “perfect race.” People don’t see that we do the same thing everyday but in less extreme ways. The fact that we can be compared to an evil killer shows how insensitive we’ve become to each other.

From the constant gossiping in our society to the mass murders of the Holocaust, our selfishness has been shown at all different degrees. People need to realize others matter and we need to fix our selfish and insensitive ways before we lose one of the biggest things that make us human-beings: compassion.

I really enjoyed writing this piece. I think it says a lot and I hope people get the message.