Bullying in Reality | Teen Ink

Bullying in Reality

October 18, 2011
By iliv34music12 BRONZE, Lewis Center, Ohio
iliv34music12 BRONZE, Lewis Center, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every artist was first an amateur.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


A boy in my class asked me one day if I was “goth”. I felt my anger start to come out, but I remembered that what other people thought of me didn’t matter. I replied, “I don’t care what you label me as.” He looked down, his face flushed, and I felt sad the rest of the day. One little thing that a person said caused my whole day to go downhill.


I was never bullied, and I hope I never am, but I can’t imagine what it is like to go out and get made fun of every day. This does happen though, and I hate to admit that I’ve ignored it before. Everyone, unless you lock yourself in your house, has seen bullying in some shape or form. When a kid trips in the hallway and drops their books, you can choose to walk by, or you could help. How many of you have actually helped someone pick things up in the hallway? You might say you didn’t have time, or you were rushing to go to your locker, but that could be considered bullying. I have done that before.

The worst part is, bullying causes teens to commit suicide. Suicide is a major part of teen deaths in America. During research I found a survey from the National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center. It said that 8 out of 10 teens who commit suicide try to ask for help in some way before taking their life. 8/ 100,000 kids in America committed suicide in the 2000’s alone.

At school we’re having Anti-Bullying month. The first question my friend asked as soon as she saw the sign was, “Why not, Anti-Bullying Year?” It’s true. One month talking to kids about bullying isn’t going to help at all. Even during this month, I heard girls at the other art room table talking about a girl in a nasty way. Girls gossip, it’s no hidden fact, but people go too far sometimes. Part of our Anti-Bullying video has to do with a rumor spread at a school. This is a fake skit, but a real event. A girl at our school was thought to be pregnant. The ridiculous part was this: It was not true.

Most rumors are just that, rumors. Dictionary.com states that a rumor is a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty to facts, and they go around a daily basis. And social networking sites aren’t helping. People can go on there, and now there’s a new type of bullying. Cyber-bullying. Honestly, I would have to say that this is the worst type of bullying. I always think before I post. If I’m not brave enough to say it to the person’s face, why should I post it?

I wish all people would do that. I can go through my Facebook’s newsfeed and see at least one piece of cyber-bullying every couple of hours. Teachers have bullied in the past, teachers have been bullied. The most important thing to do if you are getting bullied is go to an adult. Some people aren’t strong enough just to brush people’s petty comments aside, and we should all step up and help. There’s so much you can do.

Just one sentence could turn someone’s terrible day into something worthwhile. Only we can stop bullying.