Henry Ford's Quote | Teen Ink

Henry Ford's Quote

October 18, 2011
By Anonymous

What is your mind’s power compared to your body’s ability? The quote by Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right,” exactly captures the depth of this question. The quote means that if you believe in yourself, or if you doubt yourself, this will affect your effort, there affecting the end result. The mirror of this meaning is shown in the events of the smallest things, such as reading “The Little Engine That Could”, and all the way to doing well in school.

There are many pieces to the puzzle of the meaning of the quote, and there are many contributors to the big picture. One vital piece is the book, “The Little Engine That Could”. In this simple, yet meaningful book, there is a little, blue engine, that persevered through many obstacles both small and large. In addition, the little engine broke through these barriers with one single thought, “I think I can.” The book, “The Little Engine That Could” is one of the earliest books in a kid’s life that truly teaches them the meaning of the quote by Henry Ford. Based on the meaning of the quote, this book relates to the quote because the little, blue engine thought it could, and it did.

Another way in which the quote can relate to our society is in the television show, Iron Chef America. In this show, is not only for the entertainment of the viewer, but also has an inference waiting between each scene. Now from a specific perspective, one might see that these chefs are determined to winning, thinking that they can win, therefore they try hard, but some excel more than others do, such as going beyond, showing more confidence and passion every footstep the chefs take. Connecting to the quote, they believed in themselves, tried harder, and therefore succeeded, but the ones with more belief won, while the ones with less confidence in their moves did not reach for the sky.
Not only does the quote, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t you are right,” relate to the world, but also specifically to us. In our age group’s everyday routine, we encounter many challenges, even like taking a test. At these challenges, our belief in ourselves may vary. There are certain people that try harder since they believed in themselves from the beginning and some people that do not even try because they think that they cannot do it. Inevitably, this will affect your final grade, or even the quality of your work.
Another thing that the quote can relate to specifically are sports. In sports, there are multiple games, or just simple achievements, that you wish to make. Sometimes you can trust that you have the capability to carry out the action, or you may not believe that you can do so, therefore perhaps putting less effort in, and similar to what they say, you have to use 110% heart, which really means you trust in yourself. Once you are off running, you have to trust and the following sequence of the ball going into the goal is a easy path.

In conclusion, the quote, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right,” has multiple interpretations to it. Although the one that stands out, like a perfume sample in a pair of gym socks, is the one that means that, if you believe in yourself, or if your doubt yourself, this will affect your effort, and then the result is the variable. In this quote and its meaning, there are plentiful corresponding ingredients to the big picture, and the tiny pixels that create the vibrant picture, such as the book, “The Little Engine That Could”, and doing good in school. To answer the previously set question, the mind’s power is the beginning of your body’s ability, but your effort creates the outcome.