A Teen Mother's Response | Teen Ink

A Teen Mother's Response

By Kerri Erskine BRONZE, Somewhere, Alabama
Kerri Erskine BRONZE, Somewhere, Alabama

Motherhood is not as easy as people think it is. It is hard having a baby at a young age and trying to stay in school at the same time. You want to do your best and get good grades to show your parents that you still can get good grades even with a baby.

I got pregnant when I was 14. I didn't know how I was going to tell my parents because I was scared of what they would say and because, my boyfriend was older than me. I waited until January because I didn't want to ruin their holidays with this news.

When I had Corey, he was the cutest little baby. I was sure I was not going to have any problems because he was too cute to be sick. Well, I was wrong. He started getting ear infections at three months old. He never slept through the night and when he started getting ear infections, he never slept. So I never slept because I had to take care of him. He also had eczema, a dry skin disease. So he needed care for that also. Medication for his skin and his ears? That is where money becomes a big problem.
Every time I brought him to the doctors, he had an ear infection. It got very expensive. Then I had to go to the dermatologist because he was a very itchy boy. That doctor gave me four prescriptions for his skin. Now you figure nine dollars a prescription, and I had to get him four a month, if not more. That is $36 dollars. How many people have $36 dollars a month for medication? It does not seem like much, but when you do not have it, it is a lot.

That is where my parents come into the picture. I live at home with them, and they have bought Corey clothes and food when I needed it. When babies are little, food doesn’t cost that much. My boyfriend was not making money and he had to buy the formula, diapers, food, juice, etc. He also had an apartment to support on his own, which was not cheap, let me tell you.

I still to this day do not know how to say thank you to my parents for how much they have helped me. I love my parents a lot and without them, I don't know what I would do. I tried for federal assistance but I couldn't get it; I was not income eligible.

I just want to tell everyone out there that having a baby is not a joke. It is hard, stressful and can be very tiring. A lot of people want a baby because they are so cute, but don't forget that you cannot give them back, they are yours to keep. I didn't plan to have a baby so young, but it happened and it could happen to anyone of you females out there, so protect yourself.

Live your teenage years the way you want to; don't push it and grow up too fast. Think about it: do you go out and have fun with your friends and party? With a baby, you can't. You have to stay in the house. It is not fun! I do not regret having him; he is the love of my life. Also, do not think your parents will watch your baby so you can go out and have fun. They already raised their kids. They don't want to be stuck in the house raising your child. You wanted to have that baby, so it is your responsibility to raise him/her.

So, take it from a teen mother: wait. Do not rush it. WAIT is all I can say.