Hockey Dad | Teen Ink

Hockey Dad MAG

By Brendan Murphy BRONZE, Milton, Massachusetts
Brendan Murphy BRONZE, Milton, Massachusetts

While the rest of the world is sleeping, my dad is dragging my warm covers off me so we won’t be late for my 6 a.m. hockey game. What started as a hobby is now a passion, and none of it would be possible without my dad.

“Let’s go Brendan, you can do it!” Encouragement like that does not go unnoticed. Every game, no matter what the outcome, my dad always says, “Good game” or “You looked great out there.” I’m confident, knowing that if I make a mistake or play poorly, my dad will still be there for me. Support is one of the greatest things anyone can have. My dad is the one who supports me, without forcing me to become something I’m not. It was my dream to play hockey, he just guided me.

As I get older, the competition becomes fiercer. Each season brings a new schedule of more than 30 games, which my dad attends eagerly. He gets just as nervous as I do, but just rocks in his seat and keeps quiet. He wants to yell and scream like any hockey parent, but he is different. After each game we sit down for food and go over things to work on. He usually just tells me how proud he is of me.

Remembering all the early morning games and late afternoon pond skates with my dad, I realize how lucky I am to have him. It’s not easy getting up and driving to rinks in all directions. My dad does not only that, but also helps me fulfill my dreams and desires. I make sure that every game he attends I play my best, just to show him those 6 a.m. games did me some good.