Expression Without Love | Teen Ink

Expression Without Love

July 31, 2011
By AnnaC.Wysocki SILVER, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
AnnaC.Wysocki SILVER, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The lunatic, the lover, and the poet are of imagination all compact.- Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night's Dream: Act 5, Scene 1)


I’m one of those people who don’t believe in love. At least that’s what I tell everyone, but the truth is I think love is rare and hard. Or maybe I think love isn’t worth it. Actually I don’t really know what I think about love because even though I do have people I love, I never have experienced love at its best. The kind of love that you love someone more than you love yourself. The kind of love that you would do anything for that person no matter the inconvenience to yourself. The majority of people claim that they’re in “pursuit” of love, and even if I don’t understand that, I see it everywhere. It’s the reason why we’re so willing to stand for hours waiting in line at a concert and then jump up and down and yell “I LOVE YOU!” at someone we don’t know just because they sing a song we enjoy. It’s the reason we put all our hopes in a person when we know that more likely than not they will crush them. It’s the reason we throw around the word love whenever we get the chance. “I love Ian Somerhalder.” “I love my new jeans.” “OMG I am so in love with Johnnie right now!” Why? Why would we name any and all feelings and opinions as love? Because we all want it, but most of us never get it. Maybe we think that if we pretend enough we may start to believe. That’s a lie. If we pretend, how will anyone take us seriously when we really do find it? How will they know that it’s for real and not just another momentary obsession? How will you know? Wouldn’t it make love more special if we opened up our vocabulary a little more? Try this. I’m really into Maroon 5 right now. I think Ian Somerhalder is hot. Lilly is my best friend. This cookie tastes great. This is my favorite clothing store. See? We can express how we’re feeling without love.