9/11 | Teen Ink

9/11 MAG

For more than half my life, I have seen terrorism and war.

On September 11, 2001, I was in the first grade. I woke up like it was any other day and went to school. About 30 minutes into class, it happened. “It” was a plane crashing into the North Twin Tower, another into the South Twin Tower, and another in a field in Pennsylvania, all of them hijacked by terrorists. Then not a plane was in the sky. You couldn’t hear the beautiful hum of jets landing and ­taking off from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. It was a terrifying ­silence.

Our principal, Mr. Gibbs, came on the intercom to explain the situation. It was hard to understand at six years old. The teachers reacted differently. I didn’t get it until I got home and watched the news. Soon many kids were not allowed to watch TV because of the stress it caused us.

The next couple of days went by with thoughts of what had happened and the terror of what might happen next. All the children at my school got a letter from First Lady Laura Bush telling us not to be frightened.

With the terrorists gone, I thought we would just rebuild everything. But no – a never-ending war just made things worse than ­before. And here we are seven years later with an empty lot and no towers, and no victory over terrorism. It seems as though this war will go on for years.

To me the whole experience has been like getting an eyelash stuck in my eye that won’t come out; it just keeps getting worse each time I rub it.

on Jul. 1 2009 at 8:24 am
JustADreamer95 PLATINUM, Fairfield, Ohio

"If Love Conquers All Then Why Is The World In Constant Chaos?" -Me

I Was In First Grade I Didn't Understand Till I Got Older I'm In The Middle Of Writing A Song About America...We Only Started The War To Avenge Our Country An Get Our Own Sick Revenge...I Know Many Lost Their Family But Killing Others Isn't Going To Bring Yours Back It's Just Going To Cause More Problems For The USA...An Bring More Hatred An Saddness To Us All Because We May Be Fighting A War But At What Cost Let Them Beleive What They Want Don't Try To Tell Them What To Beleive....We Created Our Own Problem An Now We Are To Deep To Fix It.

millz said...
Yeah I was in first grade too, and you are right that we haven't really won. Really sad but at least there hasn't been another one

KM1428 said...
wow i was in the same grade or maybe 2nd grade but still it was a horrible thing that happened and I pray that it never happens AGAIN!

Lee said...
Mooo. Incredible. =D

meow verynice pamela

rahoomhida said...
I agree that what the terrorists have done was wrong. Many innocent people have been killed on 9/11. But right now, America is doing the same thing that the terrorists have done. Our country is going to Iraq and killing random innocent people. Women and children who've done nothing wrong are being killed every day! The war is costing us so much, and our country is now in debt for BILLIONS of dollars.

Also, 9/11 has brought much trouble to Muslims, also. After 9/11, Muslims were being harassed and discriminated against multiple times. 9/11 was a bad experience for all of us, but this still does not justify the war in Iraq. As far as I know, none of the terrorists were Iraqis. And if it's about Saddam Hussein, then he's already dead. So what are we even fighting for???

kumngpow3000 said...
on Oct. 14 2008 at 1:35 am
I do believe that but i thank you for at least reading MY story!! Enjoy!!!

tweedle dee said...
on Oct. 10 2008 at 3:11 am
i agree with Amber W, we have had victory. there hasnt been anything like sep. 11 since then, so thats a victory in my mind. pretty good story.

Pony said...
i was also in 1st grade when the twin towers crashed and now when i look back on it like you said the war is still going on 7 years later. It's really sad if you think about it that way

Hsoj Sleba said...
I'm currently working on a big essay on 9/11 conspirecy theories. I may be alone here, but many disbelive the offical story. And i plan to try getting it on here, and it will voice the lesser known details that just don't add up in the offical report.

eminem said...
good story

Will.r100 said...
I liked the description of your perspective. It's interesting what you had to say.

Geese Meese said...
Very good story, I was also in elementary school so I can relate. It ran very smoothly, good plot because there is so much to talk about.

It was a really great story. I loved the description at the end with the eyelash getting stuck in your eye.

hollister13 said...
well its kinda a stretch to say u have been around terroism ur entire life. basically uve lived in the us and thats about it

Amber W said...
I'm really disappointed to hear you say that we have had no victory over terrorism, when in the past seven years we have not had a single attack (do you think 9/11 was the only plan the terrorists had in mind?), especially when so many brave men and women have given their lives and continue to give their lives to protect us and defeat this evil. Are you saying they have fought in vain? Where do you think the freedom you have right now has come from? We are winning. Just like everything else worthwhile in life, there are no “quick fixes” to defeating an age-long evil.

i loved the descriptive thooughts and i loved the end when he talks about the eyelash.BEAUTIFUL!!!