Be careful what you wish for | Teen Ink

Be careful what you wish for

By lapisleaves DIAMOND, Durham, New Hampshire
lapisleaves DIAMOND, Durham, New Hampshire

"...I wish none of this had happened." "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

If any of us could see, stretched before us, the infinite possibilities and consequences sprung from out titchy actions, there would be no way to comprehend life. Go; choose the paths and buttons that will divert you from catastrophe, heartbreak, unpleasantries and other miscellaneous misfortunes- that broken bone, that spilled pot of coffee- and live no life at all. For you would be the impossible perfection, the life without flaws; the life that hence, does not learn to mend and appreciate, and that ultimately is consumed by the flaws of perfection and ceases to exist.

Everyone has days when they are going about their duty, and maybe open a closed door, or take a left at the stop sign, or sit at a table at the back of the lunch room, or a seat at front of the lecture hall. Have you ever considered what would happen if you didn't do one thing or another? Would you have gotten into a car crash? come across an ex-lover with a friend? make an unusual acquaintance who would become a pivotal figure in your life? What if you could choose your future, and avoid any unhappiness, or any imperfection?