A Broken Foot | Teen Ink

A Broken Foot

When I was in the 6th Grade I attended almost all of the varsity girl’s home basketball games. I walked there and walked home by myself because I live right behind the school. One night as I was walking home I saw a mask in the ground below the retaining wall. I decided I would jump off and see what it really was. Little did I know, on the other side one of the bricks was laying there. I jumped straight down. My right foot landed directly on the brick. Instant pain shot through my foot and up my leg. I couldn’t put any pressure on it because the pain was so unbearable. I could see the lights on inside my living room. I yelled for my mom and dad in hopes that they would hear, but it was no use. After a couple minutes went by I started to crawl up to the road. Once I reached the read I put all me weight to my left leg and kind of limped the rest of the way home. It seemed like it took forever. I got home and everyone was in the living room. I slowly made my way in. My mom saw the tears in my eyes as I collapsed into the couch. She asked what happened and I explained to her and my dad what did. They propped my leg up and got me ice to put on it. They said that if it still hurt in the morning they would take me to the doctor.

The next morning it still hurt and I still couldn’t walk on it. My dad took me to the doctor. I got x-rays on both me feet. They discovered that I had separated a bone in my foot. It was an extra bone that is why I had to get x-rays o both feet. They sent me down to physical therapy to get my new shoe. It was flat and had blue velcro that kept it on my foot. I also had to wrap it to get the swelling down. They asked me I needed to rent any crutched but my dad said he could find some from one of his friends.

I went back to school. I showed and told all of my friends what had happened the night before. They were very surprised. Later that day my dad brought me crutches. All of my friends wanted to carry my lunch tray for me. It was nice getting all of the attention. I only used the crutches for one day. I wanted to get back to being as normal as I could. It was still hard walking on that foot but I wanted to prove that I could do it. Looking back on it I wish I would have used them longer. It would have been way cooler.