Moving to Town | Teen Ink

Moving to Town

October 18, 2007
By Anonymous

Here I am now living my eighth total year in the city of Imperial. It all began when I was about six, my parents had decided to quit farming and to move into town. At this point it hadn’t quite hit me what was taking place, I mean I was only 6. But now that I am older I have realized that my life has changed in many ways because of that move.


One thing that happened when I moved into town was that I got really involved in sports. First off I started to participate in federation wrestling which was most definitely one of the best decisions I made. When fourth grade came one of my good friends’ dad was putting together a basketball team. So I decided to go ahead and play which resulted in my fourth grade year being pretty hectic because I was playing basketball and also wresting. So I decided to quit wresting my fifth and sixth grade year. But began to wrestle once again in junior high and I guess I began to really like it because I still wrestle to this day.


Something that I was not able to do when I was living on the farm was spend time with friends. One reason was because I would ride the bus to and from school everyday, which means I couldn’t stay in town after school and hang out with my friends. But after I moved to town it seemed like I had so much more free time. So I think that if I had not been able to hang out with my friends I wouldn’t be the same person that I am today.


Another big thing that was changed in my life was just my everyday lifestyle. What I mean by a change in lifestyle is that I went from doing chores everyday at 6:00 in the morning to barely getting up at 7:30. I don’t have to do the same chores that I would have to do on the farm, such as feeding the variety animals we had. Now all I have to do is feed a couple of cats and dogs. I also changed in the way I dressed, I use to wear all the cowboy stuff, cowboy boots, belt buckle, hat, pearl-snap shirts, but now I just wear sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt.


So now you see how my life was changed the day I moved to town. I got more involved in sports, got more time to spend with friends, and it also changed my everyday lifestyle. Now that I look back I realize that I really do like living in town better than the farm. But of course as a little kid I missed the farm. Now I can see that my life would not be the same as it is today if I had not moved to town.