WHAT A HASSLE | Teen Ink

WHAT A HASSLE

As an early teenager you want freedom to go places and participate in events without having to get your parents or any sort of relative involved. You want to be able to go to a party or a crawfish boil in your own vehicle and enjoy having the freedom of coming and going whenever you want. Worrying about interfering with other peoples plans is no longer an issue because your people don’t have to worry about how you will get to school or football practice.
As a starting teenager I thought it would be a good way to pick up on girls because I had my own truck. Finally after what seemed like centuries I got my first vehicle during the fall or 2006. It wasn’t much to brag about but got me from point a to point b. A 1992 red Toyota with faded paint and all kinds of problems. What I liked about it most was that it was four-wheel drive and I had mud grips on it. I didn’t pay for it but I had all the respect in the world for it. I found a job to help pay for my gas and insurance and couldn’t wait to get my license so that I could drive it to school and go mud riding. It took forever for me to get my license.
Every week I tried to go and get the license it would start raining and they wouldn’t let me take the test. This went on for about a month until I finally got the license and could drive by myself whenever and wherever. Little did I know that my truck would brake down and be unable to be fixed within a week. A week! I couldn’t believe it. All of this waiting for a whole week of freedom. We brought my truck to every mechanic shop that we could find and nobody knew what was wrong with it. So after all that waiting I had to wait once more. It took me 3 months to find another truck. I learned the hard way that a vehicle doesn’t mean everything. Frustrated about the way everything happened I wasn’t happy when I got my second truck. First of it was a Dodge and I don’t like Dodge, second it wasn’t a four-wheel drive, and it had a v-6. It wasn’t what I wanted and I missed my Toyota. I grew to the truck over time and began to like it even though it wasn’t what I wanted. I learned that no matter what kind of vehicle it is it’s still a vehicle and it can be used the same as any other vehicle.