The nerd | Teen Ink

The nerd

By Holly. SILVER, Exline, Iowa
Holly. SILVER, Exline, Iowa

Tehe. I mean....I didnt do it =)

So there I was. Sitting in algebra class just waiting for the bell to ring. I was watching this kid just sit there while another kid was sneaking his book away. It was the bully and we just called him the bully. He was holding the book out the window like he was going to drop it. Oh ya and I forgot to mention we were on the second floor. “Um,” is all I said. The kid just looked at me confused. His name was James and he was kind of a nerd. “Oh crap,” I thought to myself. That poor kid. Everyone's going to laugh at him. The bully was still smiling and smirking at his friends. “Do it,” one of them said. The nerd turned around and seen that his book was about to be thrown out the window. He got up and said, “Put that down!” but it was too late. The bully just tossed it out the window and all of his friends started laughing. The bully just casually walked back to his desk with a big grin on his face. James just sat back down.

Honestly, if that was me, I'd be telling that jerk off. No, I'd be more than just yelling. I'd be freaking out. I wanted to give him lessons on how not to take crap from people.

The bell rang and the teacher walked in. “Alright everybody take your seats.” But there were still people on the window just talking. Also there was a bunch of kids still talking and standing up. “I SAID TAKE YOUR SEATS!!” She screamed. Everybody ran back to their desks with wide eyes and shocked expressions. Mrs. King was kind of bi-polar. I figured that out without anybody even telling me. “Alright,” she said calmly. “Turn in your books to page 105,” she waited patiently while everybody got out their books and started flipping the pages. James just sat there blankly while everybody else had a book in front of them. Mrs. King glanced at James. His eyes darted back and forth hoping she wouldn't be too mad at him.

“James,” Mrs King said.

“Yes Mrs. King?” James said nervously.

“Where's your book dear?” She said sweetly.

James looked at the window and then looked back at Mrs. King. She stood there looking at the window wondering why he gave her that look. The bully's friends started laughing. Mrs. King walked over to the window still staring at James as she walked. She peeked over the seal. And there it set, with mud splattered all over it from the rain we just had. Mrs. King slowly looked back at James. She started to smile very creepy like. “James, why is your book on the ground outside?” James looked at all the bullies sitting at one of the tables at the back of the classroom. They were making gestures like they were going to slit his throat if he says one word about them.

“I don't know,” he said.

“Well why don't you go outside and get it,” she said.

James slowly got up and walked out of the room with his head down. My mind was made up. I was going to teach that boy how to smack talk.

Minutes passed and James never came back. Finally the bell rang and I picked up my stuff and started to walk down the hall when I seen James at his locker.

“Hey,” I said casually. He just looked at me for a second and then turned his head back to his locker. “Ok I'm going to help you,” I said.

“I don't need any help,” he said.

“Well obviously you do,” I said louder. I waited there for a bit for him to say something. He didn't say anything, just stood there like I was invisible. This was making me mad. It's not very often that somebody is lucky enough for me to help them. I grabbed his arm and we went down the stairs to go outside. “You got to stop taking crap from everybody!” I yelled. “It's driving me crazy.”

“Ok fine teach me,” he said. We cut class that day. In a matter of hours he was completely transformed.

The next day in Algebra, the bully threw his bag on the table and plopped down. James was walking in the door now. Oh this is going to be sweet, I thought to myself. “Hey, it's The Nerd!” the bully yelled. James held a straight face, started walking over to the bully's table, picked up his bag, went over to the window, and tossed it out. Everybody was in shock. They just sat there looking at James then the bully. I was proud of myself.