My Faith | Teen Ink

My Faith

Although I have believed in Christ and had a relationship with him for as long as I can remember, the winter of my sophomore year in high school was a milestone in my faith. Each winter my church takes a youth ski retreat. This is always a faith building time and it is evident that the Holy Spirit is there. This particular year Christ really spoke to me, breaking my heart and shaping me as He wanted. I was taught that I had to give Him everything, and I developed a greater understanding of Him and who He wanted me to become as a Christian.
Christ showed me that I could not control of my life and that I needed to give everything to Jesus. Being very independent, strong willed, and a leader, I knew this would be a struggle for me. I realized that I could not do it on my own. Coming back to the real world, after a weekend of isolation with God and my Christian brothers and sisters, really tested my faith. Going back to school showed me even more that I have to give Christ my all and be a servant for him, showing His light to the world.
During and after the retreat my relationship with God became stronger and more personal; I started realizing who I really am as a Christian. I felt like a new person from the retreat, even though I already had faith in Christ. The trip left me with feelings of peace, comfort, and a fire for Christ, which I still have. I also learned that the qualities God had given me, like leadership, could be used for Him and help bring people to God.
At the winter retreat my faith became more serious. God showed me how much I need Him, that my plans without Him are worthless, and how I can be used by Him. This retreat confirmed that God is always at work in and through me.