Love Struck | Teen Ink

Love Struck

By angelique todd SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia
angelique todd SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia

One day I felt nobody cared about me and people were just around me to use me. In March of 2007 that all changed, a boy by the name of Marcellus turned my feelings around. “What’s up ma,” he said to me, all I did was blush; looking at his caramel complexion. He had his shirt off coming from his basketball practice and all I was doing was staring at his abs thinking to myself, if this boy only knew what he’s doing to me he would put that shirt back on. I finally answered him, “nothing chilling.”
“What’s your name beautiful?”
“My name is Angelique,” I said flattered. “What’s yours?” He had a smile on his gorgeous face, “My name is Marcellus, and can I get your number so I can call you sometimes?” I nodded yes and he gave me his in return. I put the number in my pocket.

Later on that night, I was looking for the number; I took my red Akdemiks hoodie and turned it upside down looking for it. I was about to cry and all of a sudden my phone rung; I jumped because it scared me, I picked it up and I didn’t recognize the number. I don’t know anybody with a 804 area code. I said “hello.” The voice replied “what your doing baby?”
“Who’s this?”
“It’s your husband!”
“I don’t know who this is.”
“It’s Marcellus!”
“Oh hey boo, I was just looking for your number.”
“I guess we had each other in mind.”
“Yeah!”
“So tell me about yourself boo!”
I said, “I like to swim, dance, and write poetry; I like a little bit of everything. My dad is Puerto Rican and Jamaican and my mom is African American.”
“Oh I like to play basketball and I’m Puerto Rican and black also.”
“Do you like football?” I asked.
“Yeah, my favorite football teams are the Eagles and the Steelers.”
“Oh I like the Eagles too, but I also like the Packers.”
“Oh I never had a girl that’s sports for real.”
I didn’t say anything. He finally asked “would you be my girl?” I was speechless and then I answered yes. He said, “ok boo, but look I’m about to go to sleep!”
I replied, “Alright talk to you later, bye.”

Every night we talked to each other. From day one I knew he was the one for me, but one day my heart crashed when I found out he was moving to Richmond and I'm not going to be able to see my baby like I should.

Although he lives in Richmond, he calls me still and tells me how much he loves me. Now the relationship I once had is now a close friendship. No matter neither what we go through nor what happens I will always love him.