Liar, Liar | Teen Ink

Liar, Liar

By Autumn Bowden BRONZE, Stigler, Oklahoma
Autumn Bowden BRONZE, Stigler, Oklahoma

What you don't know won't hurt you.
What you do know, will tear you apart.
What you didn't know, will break your heart.
Curiousity kills.
Ignorance is bliss.
Honesty is out,
Deception is in.

What's life without lies? What's a lie without some truth? What's some truth without some life? Believe it or not, we all lie. Yeah- you, me, her, him, them, -everyone. The question isn't who, the question is why. What's so hard about the truth? Is it because the other person simply isn't worth the truth? Or is it just because the truth isn't good enough? We deserve a little spice now and then. Correct?

Some say, "There's nothing wrong with a little <u>white lie</b> every now and then." But what difference is a white lie and a plain, blatant lie? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just because the truth hurts, doesn't mean that it's not worth saying. Why make someone believe in some false hope? Deception is as bitter as rejection, but on a more subtle area. So why not flat out tell someone what's going on instead of making them think everything's perfect?

We all know that one lie leads to another and you just have to keep layering them on top of each other and after a while, you forget which layer is the very bottom. Yet, if you start with the truth, it ends then and there. Heaven forbid us humans be simple. Would you like to be lied to? Didn't think so. Yet, we all prefer to bend and stretch and force a lie other than the truth.

Sure, it's cliche` to believe that honesty is the best policy, but, if you're honest with yourself would you want to live a lie and never know it? No. A single lie cannot stand alone, yet a single truth can live forever. If you haven't something nice to say, don't waste your time saying anything at all.

Ninety-five percent of the beliefs we have stored in our minds are nothing but lies, and we suffer because we believe all these lies. What's worse than those who lie? Those who believe these lies. Maybe we believe them because we're so used to them. Or maybe it's because we like sugarcoated things. Or maybe we're too ignorant and naive to not believe.

What's worse? Knowing something you wish you didn't? Or never knowing and eventually wishing you had? You be the judge. We regret digging into our pasts and others' pasts. Yet we desire the need to determine a truth from a lie. We loathe those who lie to us. Yet we love ourselves. Are we forgetting that we lie? Or do we think our lies are just better? More accountable. Less harsh. More discreet. All lies have a meaning. A half-truth is a whole lie. Not telling the complete truth, such as leaving out certain pieces, is just as bad as lying about the whole scene.

Can we interact without telling a lie? Live life as if you're Pinnochio, tell a lie and your nose grows a foot longer, and imagine how long each of our noses would be. If only we could see the pain we constantly inflict. Maybe not today, but eventually, when the lies build. Should we carry our lies in hope that someday they will become truths? Or should we just start with the truth right now, before it's too late?

I'm a liar, You're a liar, He's a liar, She's a liar, They're all liars, We're all liars, but really, who's lying now?

Deception is rampant—and sometimes we tell the biggest lies to those we love most.