iPods and cellphones: not in school | Teen Ink

iPods and cellphones: not in school

By koolcat BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine
koolcat BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

About 16 million teens and younger kids have cell phones, with the bulk of them older teens, according to the researcher GFK's NOP World Technology.In February 2002, 13% of 12-to-14-year-olds had cell phones. That number jumped to 40% in December 2004, according to NOP. Some 14% of 10-to-11-year-olds now own cell phones. This situation needs to be addressed because a lot of teens and young adults have cell phones, and most people talk about having them in school. IPods and cellphone shouldn’t be aloud at school.

Schools started banning Ipods and cellphones,realizing that some students where texting each other answers. “It doesn’t take long to get out of the loop with teenagers,” said Mountain High school principal Aaron Maybon.“ They come up with new and creative ways to cheat pretty fast.” I totally agree with that statement because us as teenagers always come up with good ways to cheat some how.

Personally I think that’s pretty good that there banning them,Because we are learning how to be professional in class and we wouldn’t really be to professional with are Ipod’s and cellphones in school. Also if there teaching us then they don’t want to teach us with having Ipod’s and cellphones in school because when we get out into the real world some jobs your not aloud to have your cellphones with you on the job some jobs do allow it all depends on where you work.

In Michigan they are thinking about if people get caught with Ipod or cellphones then they will get suspension. What should teachers do about it if they have them in class or they go off during class? I think that if there phones go off during class then the teacher should take it from them and give back to them at the end of the day. What if they get caught again? Then I think that the team leader should take it for a day then every morning they should take it for the day so they aren’t tempted to take it out during class.

National School Safety and Security Services has received a number of inquiries after the school shootings of recent years asking if schools should allow and/or encourage students to carry cell phones in school as a tool for their safety during a potential crisis. may be reason for increase in thefts and fights reported at Martin County schools However it’s not really a tool when they can send messages to each other asking each other what the answer is to one of the questions. like at are school we have phones in school i’m pretty sure if there is an emergency or whatever the teacher will let you call you just have to ask.
Higgins, Lori. “Michigan school district cracks down on cellphones, iPods.” 2011.USA Today.

19 May 2011 <http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-07-19-schools-ipods-

cellphones_N.htm>.
Petrecca, Laura. “Cell phone marketers calling all preteen.” 2008. Tech Products/USA
Today. 21 May 2011 <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2005-09-05

-preteen-cell-phones_x.htm>.
Trump,Ken.Cell Phones and Text Messaging in Schools. 2011.National School Safety

and Security services.

21 May 2011 <http://www.schoolsecurity.org/>.