Which are you: A Watcher, Doer, or Idler? | Teen Ink

Which are you: A Watcher, Doer, or Idler?

June 12, 2011
By Anonymous

How does this have any relevance to current events? Well, let me tell you a story. On December 17, 2010, a man by the name of Mohammed Bouazizi was on his way to work. He, along with the rest of the Tunisian population, worked to support their families. Bouazizi came from a family of eight, which called for much responsibility, him being the breadwinner. He had a very modest job selling vegetables on the side of the road. On that very day, his employment was put in jeopardy by a policewoman because his vegetable cart was unlicensed, this not being the first time. The policewoman confiscated the cart, violently slapped him, cursed his deceased father, then unexpectedly spewed at him. This young lanky 26 year old was humiliated and indefinitely disrespected. He was doing only what the rest of the Tunisian people were and that was trying to better his life along with his family members. At around 11:30, he made his way to provincial headquarters, hoping to implicate the actions of the policewoman to the municipality officials. They refused to see him and then suddenly without telling his relatives, Mohammed returned to the white building. He poured petroleum on himself, then set himself on fire, filled with the rage that still to this day devastates many people living in totalitarian states. Ten days after Bouazizi’s audacious stand, Ben Ali, tyrant of Tunisia for the past 23 years, stepped down. Because of Mohammed, the Tunisian people were able to realize that as a whole they can take down their oppressor. Mohammed Bouazizi most plainly began the Middle Eastern fight for justice and freedom from the many arrogant, demented, deranged, and inhumane despots that caused their sufferings and anguish. This young man did not have the intention of beginning this uprising, but instead his silent cry for help caused many people to believe in the idea of salvation, in this life, rather than the next. So I will ask you again. Will you be a watcher, doer, or idler? One man’s death saved millions. “There is one, and only one, thing in modern society more hideous than crime namely, repressive justice.” What will you do or not do to change that because we are the future and we have the opportunity to save the more millions that are in greater misery than we can imagine?

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Ghandi (A DOER)